New Models to Describe Nuclear Structure

In summary, the conversation discusses questions about nuclear structure, specifically why certain types of radiation and isotopes are more prevalent than others. The speaker mentions a potential model by two Ph.D.s, but questions its credibility due to a lack of publication in a peer-reviewed journal. The link provided is deemed unreliable and does not meet the standards for discussion.
jakewayd
Hello all, I'm an amateur interested in nuclear structure. I'm interested in the (by now) age old questions of "Why is alpha radiation so much more prevalent than simple neutron or proton emission?" and "Why aren't nuclear isomers like Tantalum a lot more common or identified?" and especially "Why aren't huge clusters of neutrons found in stable nuclei?"

I believe these two Ph.D.s at the following website have a viable model, but I'm not someone to judge the credibility of their work (I'm a B.S. in Electrical Engineering with a Math minor).

[Crackpot link deleted]

Thanks for you opinions and facts in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, that link is full of crackpottery.

Besides their web site, the only other "publication" of their model that I can find is a presentation at an APS regional meeting in 2010. I can't even find any preprints on arxiv.org, where authors usually post articles that have been submittted for publication somewhere. This doesn't meet our usual standards for discussion (publication in a peer-reviewed journal).

(click on the "Rules" link at the top of any page here and note the section Overly Speculative Posts.)

1. What are the advantages of using new models to describe nuclear structure?

New models allow for a more accurate and detailed understanding of nuclear structure, which can provide insights into the behavior of atoms and their nuclei. They can also help in predicting the properties of new, undiscovered nuclei.

2. How do these new models differ from traditional models?

New models often incorporate more advanced mathematical techniques and consider a wider range of factors, such as nuclear forces, spin, and angular momentum, compared to traditional models which may only consider basic nuclear properties like charge and mass.

3. How are these new models developed?

New models are typically developed through a combination of theoretical calculations and experimental data. Scientists use existing knowledge of nuclear structure and properties, as well as new data from experiments, to refine and improve upon existing models or develop entirely new ones.

4. Can these new models accurately predict the behavior of all types of nuclei?

While new models have greatly improved our understanding of nuclear structure, they are not yet able to accurately predict the behavior of all types of nuclei. Some models may be more effective for certain types of nuclei or certain properties, and further research is needed to develop more comprehensive models.

5. How do these new models contribute to our understanding of nuclear reactions?

New models provide a more detailed understanding of the underlying structure and properties of nuclei, which can help in predicting and interpreting the outcomes of nuclear reactions. This can be important for applications such as nuclear energy and medical treatments that use nuclear reactions.