New System Generates Speech from Brain Physiology

In summary, scientists have successfully used information from brain recordings to generate understandable speech in a proof of principle study. This was achieved by recording brain activity involved in producing speech sounds and using it to drive machine-generated speech. While this technology has potential for clinical use, the invasive nature of the electrode placement makes it challenging to find trial subjects. Additionally, medical conditions affecting the speech motor areas may hinder its use in some cases. The technology also requires training for different individuals, but decoded articulatory representations were found to be highly conserved across speakers. This raises questions about the potential for different languages. Overall, this research is groundbreaking and has potential for future developments.
BillTre
Science Advisor
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Scientists published a study describe using information from brain recordings to generate understandable speech.
Scientists described using information from brain recordings to generate understandable speech in a proof of principle study.
Invasive recordings of brain activity normally involved in the production of speech sounds, at the level of controlling muscle movement, have been associated with the speech sounds produced. This has allowed recordings of brain activity to drive the generation of understandable machine generated speech. The invasive nature of the electrode placement (inside the skull) makes finding trial subjects more difficult.
In the long run, this process may be developed to being clinically useful, but it is not ready yet.
Medical problems affecting the speech motor areas (where the recordings are made) could rule its use out in particular cases.
Here is a NY Times article on it.
Here is the original article in Nature which is behind a paywall.

• Love
Likes DennisN, atyy and berkeman
Biology news on Phys.org
BillTre said:
Summary: Scientists published a study describe using information from brain recordings to generate understandable speech.
When I first read the summary I found it hard to believe, but then I read the abstract,

Abstract said:
Recurrent neural networks first decoded directly recorded cortical activity into representations of articulatory movement, and then transformed these representations into speech acoustics.

which I suppose means that the system has to be "taught" depending on which person is using it, which makes the technology understandable and feasible to me.

And further down the abstract reads

Abstract said:
Decoded articulatory representations were highly conserved across speakers, enabling a component of the decoder to be transferrable across participants.

which I find very interesting and a bit surprising. And this makes me wonder if and how different the conserved decoded articulatory representations would be for different languages, e.g. English and, let's say Spanish.

Anyway, this is amazing and inspiring research! Thanks for posting!

Likes atyy and BillTre

1. How does the system generate speech from brain physiology?

The system uses advanced algorithms and machine learning techniques to analyze brain signals and convert them into speech. It decodes the patterns of brain activity associated with speech production and translates them into words and sentences.

2. What is the accuracy of the system in generating speech?

The system has been shown to have an accuracy of over 90% in generating speech from brain signals. However, the accuracy may vary depending on the individual's brain physiology and the complexity of the speech being generated.

3. Can the system be used by individuals with speech impairments?

Yes, the system has the potential to help individuals with speech impairments communicate by using their brain signals to generate speech. However, further research and development are needed to make the system more accessible and user-friendly for this population.

4. How long does it take for the system to generate speech?

The system can generate speech in real-time, meaning that the speech is produced as the individual is thinking or speaking. The speed of the system may vary depending on the complexity of the speech being generated and the individual's brain activity.

5. What are the potential applications of this technology?

This technology has the potential to revolutionize communication for individuals with speech impairments, as well as aid in language learning and translation. It could also have applications in the development of brain-computer interfaces and assistive technology for those with motor disabilities.