Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

New thread level prefixes (B/I/A)

1. Jul 22, 2015 #1
    Today we are introducing thread level prefixes in the "physics" forums (expansion to other forums will follow). They will allow thread starters to better express their own sophistication and that of the content they are posting. The the flip side it helps browsers equally understand the level of the poster and content. It will also allow browser the ability to scan and filter for the thread level they are interested in.

On the forum list you'll see the level prefixes to the left of the title. B = Basic (High School), I = Intermediate (Undergrad), A = Advanced (Grad+).

list.png

Members posting new threads in the "physics" forums will be asked to select a level. Staff may correct the level afterwards as they see fit.

create.png

Members may filter thread levels by using this tool. Also you may select the thread list prefixes as well.

filter.png

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 22, 2015 #2
    I like it. I was starting to wish for something like this to help guide my interpretation of questions.

4. Jul 22, 2015 #3
    I think this is an excellent feature. For some it won't matter, but for those trying to find information or assess their ability to help I think it will be invaluable.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2015
  5. Jul 22, 2015 #4
    Ah Greg, you're always working on some new feature these days to light up PF, aren't you? Thanks for this!!

6. Jul 22, 2015 #5

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

You should see the hot tub he's working on for the staff members...

7. Jul 28, 2015 #6

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think it's a nice idea. I'm a little bemused that my thread on Kim's delayed choice quantum eraser paper is classed as High School (B) though. Maybe there is some part of the world where high school students have to study papers of that level, but I haven't heard of it. (Perhaps it's Finland. I've heard that has an outstanding education system ;-) ).

8. Jul 28, 2015 #7

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

After reading some of the content in the thread, I've bumped it up to the Intermediate level. I saw some bra-ket notation or whatever its called in there so I think it's an I-level at least. :wink:

Remember that you can use the Report feature to bring things like this to the attention of the mentors at any time.

9. Jul 28, 2015 #8

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Ah, there it is down on the bottom-left of each post. I hadn't noticed it before. Thank you for the tip.

10. Aug 4, 2015 #9

Intrastellar

Gold Member

A very nice feature for readers and helpers alike :smile:

When subscribing to a forum, is it possible to subscribe only to one (or two) of those levels ?

11. Aug 4, 2015 #10

e.bar.goum

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

You can click on the B/I/A icons at the top of the forum, which will filter out all but the one you selected.

12. Aug 8, 2015 #11

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm really starting to like this. :bow:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook