New thread level prefixes (B/I/A)

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, today we are introducing thread level prefixes in the "physics" forums (expansion to other forums will follow). They will allow thread starters to better express their own sophistication and that of the content they are posting. The the flip side it helps browsers equally understand the level of the poster and content. It will also allow browser the ability to scan and filter for the thread level they are interested in. This is an excellent feature.
Today we are introducing thread level prefixes in the "physics" forums (expansion to other forums will follow). They will allow thread starters to better express their own sophistication and that of the content they are posting. The the flip side it helps browsers equally understand the level of the poster and content. It will also allow browser the ability to scan and filter for the thread level they are interested in.

On the forum list you'll see the level prefixes to the left of the title. B = Basic (High School), I = Intermediate (Undergrad), A = Advanced (Grad+).

list.png

Members posting new threads in the "physics" forums will be asked to select a level. Staff may correct the level afterwards as they see fit.

create.png

Members may filter thread levels by using this tool. Also you may select the thread list prefixes as well.

filter.png

Likes wabbit, Intrastellar, dlgoff and 4 others
Physics news on Phys.org
I like it. I was starting to wish for something like this to help guide my interpretation of questions.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
I think this is an excellent feature. For some it won't matter, but for those trying to find information or assess their ability to help I think it will be invaluable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes PWiz and Greg Bernhardt
Ah Greg, you're always working on some new feature these days to light up PF, aren't you? Thanks for this!

Likes 0pt618
PWiz said:
Ah Greg, you're always working on some new feature these days to light up PF, aren't you? Thanks for this!

You should see the hot tub he's working on for the staff members...

Likes PWiz
I think it's a nice idea. I'm a little bemused that my thread on Kim's delayed choice quantum eraser paper is classed as High School (B) though. Maybe there is some part of the world where high school students have to study papers of that level, but I haven't heard of it. (Perhaps it's Finland. I've heard that has an outstanding education system ;-) ).

andrewkirk said:
I think it's a nice idea. I'm a little bemused that my thread on Kim's delayed choice quantum eraser paper is classed as High School (B) though. Maybe there is some part of the world where high school students have to study papers of that level, but I haven't heard of it. (Perhaps it's Finland. I've heard that has an outstanding education system ;-) ).

After reading some of the content in the thread, I've bumped it up to the Intermediate level. I saw some bra-ket notation or whatever its called in there so I think it's an I-level at least. :wink:

Remember that you can use the Report feature to bring things like this to the attention of the mentors at any time.

Drakkith said:
Remember that you can use the Report feature to bring things like this to the attention of the mentors at any time.
Ah, there it is down on the bottom-left of each post. I hadn't noticed it before. Thank you for the tip.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
A very nice feature for readers and helpers alike :smile:

When subscribing to a forum, is it possible to subscribe only to one (or two) of those levels ?

montadhar said:
A very nice feature for readers and helpers alike :smile:

When subscribing to a forum, is it possible to subscribe only to one (or two) of those levels ?
You can click on the B/I/A icons at the top of the forum, which will filter out all but the one you selected.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Greg Bernhardt said:
Today we are introducing thread level prefixes in the "physics" forums ...
I'm really starting to like this. :bow:

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Greg Bernhardt said:
Can everyone see the Insight prefix listed as a filter now?

Yep. Works for me.

What are "New thread level prefixes (B/I/A)"?

"New thread level prefixes (B/I/A)" refer to a set of prefixes used in coding and programming to indicate the level of a thread. These prefixes are B (base), I (immediate), and A (advanced).

How are these prefixes used?

These prefixes are used in coding and programming to organize and prioritize threads. The B prefix is used for threads that are essential and must be completed before others can start. The I prefix is used for threads that are important but can be worked on simultaneously. The A prefix is used for threads that are advanced and can be worked on after the B and I threads are completed.

Why are these prefixes important?

These prefixes are important for efficient thread management. By using these prefixes, programmers can prioritize tasks and ensure that essential and important threads are completed before moving on to advanced ones. This can improve overall productivity and organization within a project.

Are these prefixes used in all programming languages?

While these prefixes are commonly used in many programming languages, they may not be used in all of them. Some languages may have their own set of prefixes or may not use any prefixes at all. It is important to consult the language's documentation to determine if these prefixes are applicable.

Can these prefixes be customized?

Yes, these prefixes can be customized to fit the needs of a specific project or team. Some programmers may choose to use different prefixes or add additional prefixes to further categorize their threads. However, it is important to establish a consistent system within a team to avoid confusion.