Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Newbie question: Algebra of Mahalanobis distance

1. Nov 11, 2013 #1
    Hello,

The Mahalanobis distance or rather its square is defined as :

[itex](X-\mu)^2/\Sigma[/itex] which is then written as

[itex](X-\mu)^{T} Ʃ^{-1}(X-\mu)[/itex]

Ʃ is the covariance matrix. My silly question is why is the sigma placed in the middle of the dot product of the (X-μ) vector with itself. I am sure this makes sense mathematically (this reduces the output to a scalar) but I would like to know the intuitive reason behind it.

Thanks a lot!
    Anja

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2013 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The idea behind the Mahalanobis distance is that you are measuring how many standard deviations from the mean X is in the one dimensional case. In multidimensional cases, [itex] \Sigma[/itex] is going to be a positive (semi)definite matrix, which will have a unique positive (semi)definite square root which I will call S. S serves the same role as the standard deviation. Then the expression above is the same as

[tex] \left( S^{-1}(X-\mu) \right)^T \left(S^{-1}(X-\mu) \right) [/tex]

basically, you scale the random vector [itex] X-\mu[/itex] by the standard deviation, the same as you would in the one dimensional case.

4. Nov 11, 2013 #3

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The expression ##(X-\mu)^T \Sigma^{-1}(X-\mu) = \sigma^2## defines a family of hyperellipsoids in the N-dimensional space in which X and μ live, characterized by the scalar parameter σ. I used σ intentionally. Think of σ as representing "standard deviations". For example, ##(X-\mu)^T \Sigma^{-1}(X-\mu) = 1## is the one sigma hyperellipsoid.

The Mahalanobis distance is essentially a measure of how many standard deviations a point X is from the mean μ.

5. Nov 11, 2013 #4
    Thank you guys!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook