I Variable transformation for a multivariate normal distribution

• Thread starter nilsgeiger
  • Start date
Summary
I want to transform a multivariate normal [##log (\delta_i + 1)##] distribution to a multivariate normal distribution of the ##\delta_i## .
Besides, i'm looking for a way to transform the random vectors with the components ##log (\delta_i + 1)## to vectors with components ##\delta_i ##.
Hello.

I would like to draw (sample) several random vectors x from a n-dimensional multivariate normal distribution.
For this purpose I want to use C++ and the GNU Scientific Library function gsl_ran_multivariate_gaussian .

https://www.gnu.org/software/gsl/manual/html_node/The-Multivariate-Gaussian-Distribution.html

The distribution has the usual density
$$p(x_1,\dots,x_k) dx_1 \dots dx_k = {1 \over \sqrt{(2 \pi)^k |\Sigma|}} \exp \left(-{1 \over 2} (x - \mu)^T \Sigma^{-1} (x - \mu)\right) dx_1 \dots dx_k$$
with $$\mu = 0$$ but with
$$ x = \begin{pmatrix} log (\delta_1 + 1) \\
log (\delta_2+1) \\
log (\delta_3 + 1) \\
log (\delta_4 + 1) \\
... \\
log (\delta_n + 1) \\
\end{pmatrix}$$

As stated the ##log (\delta_i + 1)## follow the multivariate normal distribution.

But I am actually only interested in the ##\delta## -vectors.
$$ \delta = \begin{pmatrix} \delta_1 \\
\delta_1 \\
\delta_2 \\
\delta_3 \\
... \\
\delta_n \\
\end{pmatrix}$$

1. How do you transform a x - vector to a ##\delta## - vector?
    With help of the covariances? But how exactly?

2. Alternatively, can you do a change of variables to the multivariate distribution of the ##\delta_i## und draw ##\delta## - vectors directly with the gsl_ran_multivariate_gaussian?
    Could you please tell me the formula to compute the appropriate new covariance matrix?
    Or is this not possible?
    I am aware that the multiariate log-normal distribution exists, but GSL can only sample the multivariate normal.

I'm so sorry, this are probably really stupid questions.
But i'm just a not particularly good bachelor physics student in his fourth semester who also started programming c++ for the very first time.
I'm really overwhelmed and began learning about multivariate statistics for the first time because of this task no more than a week ago.

It would really help me a lot if you could answer and explain my two questions in great detail and for idiots.

For literature references for general variable transformations for multivaraite distributions and multivariate normal distributions I would also be very very thankful.
Especially for multivariate normal distributions of ##(log (x_i+1) )## there must be formulas together with a detailed derivation, right?
Normally distributed logarithms have to occur and ##+1## just ensures that for ##x_i## greater zero the logarithm always remains positive, so they should also be quite common?

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
From what you've written it sounds like you already know how to randomly generate x vectors from the required multivariate normal distribution. That's the difficult bit done. From there it's easy. Since for ##i=1,2,...,n## we have ##x_i = \log(\delta_i+1)##, you can calculate a simulated ##\mathbf \delta## vector from its corresponding x vector by calculating ##\delta_i = e^{x_i}-1##, where ##\delta_i## and ##x_i## are the ##i##-th components of the ##\mathbf \delta## and x vectors respectively.