Basic question, harmonic coordinate condition algebra

In summary: Seems like this equation is just saying that the derivative of the connection between the two fields is zero.
binbagsss
where ##□=\nabla^{\mu}\nabla_{\mu}## is the covariant D'Alembertian.

##□x^{\mu}=0##

##g^{\rho\sigma}\partial_{\rho}\partial_{\sigma}x^{\mu}-g^{\rho\sigma}T^{\lambda}_{\rho\sigma}\partial_{\lambda}x^{\mu}=0##

So this line is fine by subbing in the covariant derivative definition and lowering index using the metric.

The notes say that it is crucial to realize that when we take the covariant derivative that the four functions ##x^{\mu}## are just functions, not component of a vector. And I guess this is what he is using when he gets:

##g^{\rho\sigma}\partial_{\rho}\partial_{\sigma}x^{\mu}-g^{\rho\sigma}T^{\lambda}_{\rho\sigma}\partial_{\lambda}x^{\mu}=-g^{\rho\sigma}T^{\lambda}_{\rho\sigma}## ,
where ##T^{\lambda}_{\rho\sigma}## is the connection.

Excuse my stupid questions to follow, but I have no idea what is going on here:
- why has the double derivative of the first term vanished whilst a single derivative of the second does not?
- how has , I think he must have used that## \partial_{\lambda}x^{\mu}=1##, where has this came from?

All I can think of is some conditions imposed on the functions such as each four function is made to depend only upon one of ##x^\mu## and normalization.

Thanks in advance.

(Sean Carroll Lecture notes on GR, equation 4.85)

Physics news on Phys.org
binbagsss said:
why has the double derivative of the first term vanished whilst a single derivative of the second does not?
What is ##\partial_\nu x^\mu##?

Your equation is also wrong, the right side has ##\lambda## as a free index while the left does not.

Orodruin said:
What is ##\partial_\nu x^\mu##?

Your equation is also wrong, the right side has ##\lambda## as a free index while the left does not.

Equation 4.85, http://arxiv.org/pdf/gr-qc/9712019.pdf, that's what I thought.

##\partial_\nu=\frac{\partial}{\partial x^{\nu}}##

binbagsss said:
Equation 4.85, http://arxiv.org/pdf/gr-qc/9712019.pdf, that's what I thought.

##\partial_\nu=\frac{\partial}{\partial x^{\nu}}##
Obvious typo, also the fix is obvious (the ##\lambda## in the last expression should be a ##\mu##).

So what is ##\partial x^\mu/\partial x^\nu##?

Orodruin said:
Obvious typo, also the fix is obvious (the ##\lambda## in the last expression should be a ##\mu##).

So what is ##\partial x^\mu/\partial x^\nu##?

I thought he may have renamed ##\lambda## and ##\mu##. The fix wasn't so obvious for me, but ta...

##\partial x^\mu/\partial x^\nu=\delta^\mu_\nu##?

binbagsss said:
##\partial x^\mu/\partial x^\nu=\delta^\mu_\nu##?

Right, so is it clear how equation (4.85) follows?

Orodruin said:
Right, so is it clear how equation (4.85) follows?

ahhh ofc, thanks.

1. What is the basic question in harmonic coordinate condition algebra?

The basic question in harmonic coordinate condition algebra is how to define and manipulate harmonic coordinates in a way that preserves the underlying geometric structure of a space.

2. What are harmonic coordinates?

Harmonic coordinates are a set of coordinates that satisfy the harmonic coordinate condition, which means that their Laplace operator is equal to zero. This condition is important in many areas of physics and geometry.

3. How is the harmonic coordinate condition used?

The harmonic coordinate condition is used to simplify calculations and equations in various fields, such as general relativity and fluid mechanics. It allows for a more elegant and concise representation of problems involving curved spaces.

4. Can the harmonic coordinate condition be generalized to higher dimensions?

Yes, the harmonic coordinate condition can be generalized to higher dimensions. In fact, it is often used in the study of higher-dimensional spaces and their properties.

5. What are some applications of harmonic coordinate condition algebra?

Harmonic coordinate condition algebra is used in a variety of fields, including general relativity, differential geometry, and fluid mechanics. It is also used in computer graphics and simulations to model and visualize complex systems.