Newtonian cosmology vs relativistic cosmology

In summary, the conversation discusses the development of a full model of cosmology using Newtonian physics and the shortcomings of this approach. The individual is seeking a way to relate the Newtonian and relativistic aspects of cosmology by mentioning the weaknesses of the former and the solutions provided by the latter. The main focus is on comparing the two theories and highlighting their differences.
houhou.trad
I am working on an introduction to cosmology, I have began by the Newtoniant one (the Hubble law, the Friedmann, fluid and acceleration equations), and some of the aspects of the relativitic one. I want to relate the tow parts by mentioning the shortcomings of the first, and then mentioning the solution in the second.
Hence, what are the shortcomings of the Newtonian cosmology, and what are their solutions in the context of the relativistic one.
Please help me.

Space news on Phys.org
I am not aware of a full model of cosmology based on purely Newtonian physics. General Relativity was around for decades by the time the standard model of cosmology was developed. GR has been tested extensively and proven to be correct at every point, whereas Newtonian gravity has glaring weaknesses. Since modern cosmology is based heavily upon GR I would try to compare the two and point out what the differences are.

1. What is the difference between Newtonian cosmology and relativistic cosmology?

The main difference between Newtonian cosmology and relativistic cosmology is the framework in which they operate. Newtonian cosmology is based on Newton's laws of motion and gravitation, which describe the behavior of large-scale objects in a static and absolute space and time. Relativistic cosmology, on the other hand, is based on Einstein's theory of general relativity, which takes into account the effects of gravity on the structure of space and time.

2. Which one is considered to be a more accurate description of the universe?

Relativistic cosmology is generally considered to be a more accurate description of the universe. This is because it takes into account the effects of gravity on the behavior of objects, which is crucial for understanding the large-scale structure and evolution of the universe. Newtonian cosmology, while still useful for certain calculations, does not provide as complete of a picture of the universe.

3. Can Newtonian cosmology and relativistic cosmology be used interchangeably?

No, Newtonian cosmology and relativistic cosmology cannot be used interchangeably. While Newtonian cosmology can be a good approximation for certain situations, it is not as accurate as relativistic cosmology. Additionally, relativistic cosmology is better suited for describing the behavior of objects at high speeds and in strong gravitational fields, which are common in the universe.

4. How do the predictions of these two cosmological models differ?

The predictions of Newtonian cosmology and relativistic cosmology can differ in several ways. For example, relativistic cosmology predicts that the universe is expanding, while Newtonian cosmology does not take this into account. Relativistic cosmology also predicts that time and space are not absolute, but rather are affected by gravity, while Newtonian cosmology assumes they are absolute.

5. Which model is more widely accepted in the scientific community?

Relativistic cosmology is more widely accepted in the scientific community as it has been extensively tested and has been shown to accurately describe the behavior of the universe. While Newtonian cosmology is still useful for certain calculations, it is generally seen as an approximation of reality rather than a complete and accurate model.