1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Newtonian & Einstein Quantum Mechanics

1. Apr 1, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have a paper due Friday in ap Physics and i can't seem to find anything on the subject that doesn't involve reading an entire textbook. Ok so we first must compare/contrast Newtonian & Einstein Physics, then explain their contributions to Quantum mechanics.

3. The attempt at a solution

so i know about the 4th dimension, and that somehow Einstein's general relativity and newtons model somehow are different. any help would be great i love physics but unfortuanately my teacher is a better babysitter than teacher.
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 1, 2008 #2
    You may want to be careful about insulting your teacher - many of us contributors are physics teachers!

Maybe you could start with this: If a ship was traveling 300 million meters per second, and shined a flashlight beam out in front (light travels at 300 million m/s) then Newtonian mechanics says the "absolute" speed of the light beam would be 300 + 300 = 600 million m/s. But light never travels faster than 300 million m/s. Einstein's mechanics resolved this paradox. One of the results, for example, says that there is no such thing as an "absolute" speed; speed always depends on who's measuring.

NOVA has an online show called "The Elegant Universe" and the first couple chapters have some good comparisons between Newt and Ein.

To get any better than that, you will need to read a lot. Maybe not an entire textbook, but at least get your intro textbook and read the sections on Relativity and Quantum.
  4. Apr 1, 2008 #3
    You can watch it here.
  5. Apr 1, 2008 #4
    sorry i didn't mean to insult him i just get upset when my potential is thwarted, especially since i love physics

thanks for the help. =)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?