Newtonian limit of cosmological perturbation

In summary, the problem in question is problem 5.6 in Dodelson's Modern Cosmology, which involves taking the Newtonian limit of Einstein's equations and combining them to obtain an algebraic equation for the potential given in Eq. (5.81). The problem also requires showing that this equation reduces to Poisson's equation under certain conditions. After several attempts, the correct combination of equations was found and it was realized that the Hubble rate needed to be converted to a conformal time derivative.
Libra82

Homework Statement

Problem in question is problem 5.6 in Dodelson's Modern Cosmology (https://www.amazon.com/dp/0122191412/?tag=pfamazon01-20)
Take the Newtonian limit of Einstein's equations. Combine the time-time equation (5.27) with the time-space equations of exercise 5 to obtain the algebraic (i.e. no time derivatives) equation for the potential given in Eq. (5.81). Show that this reduces to Poisson's equation (with the appropriate factors of a) when the wavelength is much smaller than the horizon [itex]( k\eta >> 1)[/itex].

Homework Equations

The equations mentioned in the problem are:
(5.27): ##k^2 \Phi + 3\frac{\dot{a}}{a}\left(\dot{\Phi} - \psi \frac{\dot{a}}{a}\right) = 4\pi G a^2 (\rho_m \delta_m + 4\rho_r \Theta_{r,0})##
(5.81): ## k^2 \Phi = 4\pi G a^2 \left(\rho_m \delta_m + 4\rho_r\Theta_{r,0} + \frac{3aH}{k}\left[i \rho_m v_m + 4\rho_r \Theta_{r,1} \right] \right) ##
(5.84): ## aH\psi - \dot{\Phi} = \frac{4\pi G a^2}{k}\left( i\rho_m v_m + 4\rho_r \Theta_{r,1} \right) ##

We are working in a scalar perturbed metric so ##g_{00} = -(1-2\psi)##, ##g_{ij} = \delta_{ij} a^2(1+2\Phi)##.
##k## is the wave vector of the perturbation.
Dot derivative indicate differentiation with respect to conformal time, ##\dot{\Phi} = \frac{\partial \Phi}{\partial \eta}##.

The Attempt at a Solution

As I read the problem I am to find a combination of equations (5.27) and (5.84) to arrive at (5.81) and already here I run into problems. I've been trying various combinations for a couple of hours and I have yet to arrive at anything useful.

I can easily get the right hand side of equation (5.81) by multiplying (5.84) with ##3aH## and then adding this equation to (5.27) but the left hand side is always the problem. I seem to either have too few factors of ##a## or too many.

This is where I currently stand:
##k^2 \Phi + 3H\dot{\Phi} - 3H^2 \psi + 3a^2H^2\psi - 3aH\dot{\Phi} = \text{same as r.h.s. in eq. (5.81)}##.

To show the reduction to Poisson's equation I'd assume that ## a = const.## so ##\dot{a} = 0## thus arriving at Poisson's equation in Fourier space.

Physics news on Phys.org
Apparently I just need enough coffee to get it right.

I had forgotten that the Hubble rate which is defined as ##H = a_{,0}/a## also has to be converted to a conformal time derivative. By using ##H = \dot{a}/a^2## where dot-derivative means ##\frac{\partial}{\partial \eta}## I arrived at the equation I wanted. :)

What is the Newtonian limit of cosmological perturbation?

The Newtonian limit of cosmological perturbation is a concept in cosmology that describes the behavior of small perturbations in the distribution of matter in the universe. It is based on the assumption that the universe is homogeneous and isotropic on large scales, and that the gravitational forces between objects are dominated by Newton's law of gravity.

How is the Newtonian limit different from the general relativistic description of cosmological perturbation?

The Newtonian limit is a simplified version of the general relativistic description of cosmological perturbation. It neglects the effects of space-time curvature, which are important on large scales and at early times in the evolution of the universe. The general relativistic description is more accurate, but the Newtonian limit is often used for practical calculations and simulations.

What are the implications of the Newtonian limit for the study of large-scale structure in the universe?

The Newtonian limit allows us to make simplifying assumptions about the behavior of matter on large scales in the universe. This helps us to analyze and interpret observations of the large-scale structure of the universe, such as the distribution of galaxies and clusters of galaxies. It also allows us to make predictions about the evolution of the universe and the formation of structures within it.

Are there any limitations to the Newtonian limit of cosmological perturbation?

Yes, the Newtonian limit is only valid for small perturbations in the distribution of matter. It breaks down at early times in the evolution of the universe, when the density of matter is much higher, and on very large scales, where the effects of space-time curvature become important. In these cases, the general relativistic description must be used.

How does the Newtonian limit tie into our understanding of gravity and the laws of physics?

The Newtonian limit is based on Newton's law of gravity, which is a fundamental law of physics. It is a simplified version of the more accurate theory of general relativity, which describes the behavior of gravity in a more comprehensive way. The Newtonian limit is an important tool for understanding and applying the laws of physics to the study of cosmology and the structure of the universe.