Newtons Cooling problem/ possible error in book.

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem in a book about differential equations. The problem involves Newton's cooling and the integration of an equation. There is some confusion about the constant C and its exact form, but it is determined that the form is arbitrary and the integration is correct.
randombill
I have a book called REA 's problem solvers: Differential Equations Year 2004 and the problem 12-14 on page 244 might have problems with it and I want to ask to see if anyone else thinks so.

The problem is basically Newton's cooling where they ask to find

T - T_o = (T_i - T_o) e^(-kt) (1)

where T_i = T when t = 0.

Given dT/dt = -k(T - T_o) (2)

where T_o is the temperature of the surrounding medium.

The part that seems incorrect to me is where they integrate after rearranging (2) to get

LN(T - T_o) = -kt + LN(C)

1. Shouldn't the left side be -LN(T_o - T) after integration?
2. How do they get LN(C) instead of just C and then solving for t = 0, C = -LN(T_o - T)?

Physics news on Phys.org
To put C or ln C is the same, the constant is arbitrary. Ln C is more convenient. As for the first question, you're basically computing

[tex] \int \frac{dT}{T-T_0} [/tex]

dextercioby said:
To put C or ln C is the same, the constant is arbitrary. Ln C is more convenient. As for the first question, you're basically computing

Would C = T - T_o instead? That would make more sense.
And then LN C (or LN(T - T_o) ) at t = 0 would be the integrating factor?

dextercioby said:
[tex] \int \frac{dT}{T-T_0} [/tex]

Right, I know I'm computing [tex] \int \frac{dT}{T-T_0} [/tex] but is it correct in the book or am I right. I used Derive 6 and I got a different answer after integration.

EDIT: Nevermind on the integration, it is correct. I made a mistake in Derive 6. But I'm still not sure about the constant C.

Last edited:
randombill said:
... But I'm still not sure about the constant C.

C is a constant, so is lnC, or C2 or any other operation done to C. The constant is arbitrary, so the exact form of it is not important. Though the form can make succeeding steps more transparent.

Likes 1 person
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xq-JiYMQydc

What is Newton's Cooling problem?

Newton's Cooling problem is a mathematical model that describes the rate at which the temperature of an object changes as it cools down to the temperature of its surroundings. It was first formulated by Sir Isaac Newton in the 17th century.

How does Newton's Cooling problem work?

The problem assumes that the rate of cooling of an object is directly proportional to the difference between its temperature and the temperature of its surroundings. This means that the larger the temperature difference, the faster the object will cool down. The problem can be solved using calculus and involves finding the temperature of the object at different points in time.

What are some real-life applications of Newton's Cooling problem?

Newton's Cooling problem has many practical applications, such as predicting the cooling of hot beverages, the rate of food spoilage, and the cooling of electronic devices. It is also used in industries such as refrigeration, HVAC systems, and manufacturing processes that involve cooling of materials.

What are some possible sources of error in the book's explanation of Newton's Cooling problem?

One possible source of error could be incorrect assumptions made in the problem. For example, the book may assume that the object is perfectly insulated, which may not be the case in real-life situations. Another source of error could be rounding errors or incorrect calculations during the solution of the problem.

How accurate is Newton's Cooling problem in predicting real-world scenarios?

The accuracy of Newton's Cooling problem depends on the assumptions made and the accuracy of the data used. In real-world situations, there may be other factors at play, such as air circulation, humidity, and thermal properties of the object, which can affect the rate of cooling. Therefore, while the problem can provide a general idea of the cooling process, its predictions may not always be entirely accurate.