Nice news for a change? How to turn back your life 25 years

In summary, scientists at Tel Aviv University have shown that giving pure oxygen to older people while in a hyperbaric chamber increased the length of their telomeres by 20 per cent, a feat that has never been achieved before. The therapy also reduced senescent cells by up to 37 per cent, making way for new healthy cells to regrow. Animal studies have shown that removing senescent cells extends remaining life by more than one third.This could be a big deal, as telomere length has been linked to a host of health problems such as cancer, cognitive decline, and age-related diseases.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
If this pans out, it would be nice. I had read FB founder Mark Zuckerberg bought one of these chambers for his wife, but can find nothing about it now, only that Justin Bieber sleeps in one. :rolleyes:

Now scientists at Tel Aviv University have shown that giving pure oxygen to older people while in a hyperbaric chamber increased the length of their telomeres by 20 per cent, a feat that has never been achieved before.

Scientists said the growth may mean that the telomeres of trial participants were now as long as they had been 25 years earlier.

The therapy also reduced senescent cells by up to 37 per cent, making way for new healthy cells to regrow. Animal studies have shown that removing senescent cells extends remaining life by more than one third.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/human-ageing-process-biologically-reversed-153921785.html

Likes Monsterboy
Physics news on Phys.org
Here is a link to the original article: Cognitive enhancement of healthy older adults using hyperbaric oxygen: a randomized controlled trial
And here is a link to another story on the research.

The research was done by "Tel Aviv University and The Sagol Center for Hyperbaric Medicine and Research at Shamir Medical Center".

The pressure in the hyperbaric chamber was "higher than one absolute atmosphere" (ie, higher than normal), but was at 100% oxygen. The control group was assigned to "no intervention", so the partipants knew who was getting the treatment and who was not. But the researchers were kept "blind".

63 older citizens (> age 64) completed their participation in the study: 33 using the Hyperbaric Chamber, 30 to no intervention.

Although this is the article cited in the PR Newswire article, this published paper makes no mention of telomeres or senescent cells. However, the paper was published in June 2020 and the story reports that the announcement was made "today" (Nov 18, 2020). So this may be follow-on results to the previously published paper.

Likes Evo
.Scott said:
Although this is the article cited in the PR Newswire article, this published paper makes no mention of telomeres or senescent cells. However, the paper was published in June 2020 and the story reports that the announcement was made "today" (Nov 18, 2020). So this may be follow-on results to the previously published paper.
actually the PRNewswire does mention it.

TEL AVIV, Israel, Nov. 18, 2020 /PRNewswire/ -- Tel Aviv University and The Sagol Center for Hyperbaric Medicine and Research at Shamir Medical Center announced today that, for the first time in humans, two key biological hallmarks of aging, telomere length shortening and accumulation of senescent cells, can be reversed, according to a new study.

Using a specific protocol of hyperbaric oxygen therapy (HBOT), telomere length was significantly increased and senescent cells were reduced in a population of healthy aging subjects. The study, part of a comprehensive research program targeting aging as a reversible disease, is to be published in the peer-review journal Aging, and titled: Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy Increases Telomere Length and Decreases Immunosenescence in Isolated Blood Cells: A Prospective Trial.

Evo said:
actually the PRNewswire does mention it.
Yes, the PR Newswire story mentions both. But he article they cite does not.
So they have no verifiable citations for their main story points.

.Scott said:
Yes, the PR Newswire story mentions both. But he article they cite does not.
So they have no verifiable citations for their main story points.
I'm confused, the paper is to be published
is to be published in the peer-review journal Aging, and titled: Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy Increases Telomere Length and Decreases Immunosenescence in Isolated Blood Cells: A Prospective Trial.

What article are you referring to? Are you referring to the previous article on cognition they mentioned?
Cognitive enhancement of healthy older adults using hyperbaric oxygen: a randomized controlled trial

https://www.aging-us.com/article/103571

The most commonly assumed reason for telomeres is that they prevent the lost of the ends of chromosomes which would slowly occur each time the chromosome are replicated.
This nibbling away at the ends of the chromosomes would eventually start removing genes located near the chromosomal ends after the telomeres are eliminated.
A specific enzyme (telomerase) exist to restore telomere sequences (which are repeats), but are apparently not sufficient to put off the effect for ever (or maybe not in all cell types).
This is the proposed basis for telomeres preventing cellular senescence, as i understand it (which is presumed in this scenario to be due to the loss of the distal (near the chromosomal ends)) genes.
I would not expect restored telomeres to fix senescent cells if they have already lost genes, thus making them non-senescent.
Maybe they just die?

I have my doubts about any connection between restoring telomeres and eliminating senescent cells.
I'm not sure if the authors are claiming that, but if they are its not making a lot of sense to me.
It could be two independent effects of of the oxygen treatment, but if so that is not clear.

Likes Monsterboy, atyy and Evo
I think it's something fun and definitely premature to announce with just one trial. But if there could be a link...sigh I'm too old and will never know.

BillTre said:
The most commonly assumed reason for telomeres is that they prevent the lost of the ends of chromosomes which would slowly occur each time the chromosome are replicated.
This nibbling away at the ends of the chromosomes would eventually start removing genes located near the chromosomal ends after the telomeres are eliminated.
A specific enzyme (telomerase) exist to restore telomere sequences (which are repeats), but are apparently not sufficient to put off the effect for ever (or maybe not in all cell types).
This is the proposed basis for telomeres preventing cellular senescence, as i understand it (which is presumed in this scenario to be due to the loss of the distal (near the chromosomal ends)) genes.
I would not expect restored telomeres to fix senescent cells if they have already lost genes, thus making them non-senescent.
Maybe they just die?

I have my doubts about any connection between restoring telomeres and eliminating senescent cells.
I'm not sure if the authors are claiming that, but if they are its not making a lot of sense to me.
It could be two independent effects of of the oxygen treatment, but if so that is not clear.

Maybe the cells with short telomeres died, and the were not replaced by new cells with short telomeres. In this case, there would be no reversal of telomere length in any cell, and the data would be consistent with a decrease in the rate of telomere shortening?

Likes Monsterboy, Evo and BillTre
That study has a problem, I think
See this review meant for medical people:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK430743/

This discusses oxygen toxicity, specifically 100% ##O_2## at STP. It appears in patients and test volunteers as early as 24 hours. Hyperbaric oxygen engenders both its good and bad effects faster.

IMO - either the medical review above is off base or the study @Evo cited has problems.

And I do not know much about telomere extension.
This:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6223848/

explains how telomerase and some regulating proteins do increase telomere length, but the effect has limits. The implication being normally healthy cells can undergo mitosis and then have telomeres "rebuilt".
...this all happens at normal atmospheric oxygen levels.

Last edited:
Likes Evo
giving pure oxygen to older people while in a hyperbaric chamber

I don't need any more pressure in my life, thank you.

• Haha
Likes jedishrfu, OCR, jim mcnamara and 1 other person
Alas, I can't use one either as it promotes rust. ( video mark 2.15)

Likes atyy
I was under the impression that breathing pure oxygen is not good for you at least for extended periods of time.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxygen_toxicity

Increasing the partial pressure of oxygen in the blood increases the radiosensitivity of cells because of the formation of free radicals from radiation.

Likes Evo
I read the title and thought this is about a time machine that can let go back to 25 years ago.

Likes Evo and Monsterboy
Madam Speaker is going to live forever! As for her birthday next year, we need to decide on an age for her. I think this year she turned 20?

Likes Evo

1. Can good news really make a difference in my life?

Research has shown that positive news can have a significant impact on our mental and emotional well-being. It can improve our mood, decrease stress and anxiety, and even boost our immune system. So, yes, good news can definitely make a positive change in your life.

2. How can I turn back my life 25 years?

While it is not possible to physically turn back time, there are certain lifestyle changes you can make that can help you feel younger and healthier. These include eating a balanced diet, exercising regularly, getting enough sleep, reducing stress, and avoiding unhealthy habits like smoking and excessive drinking.

3. Is it too late to make changes to my life?

It is never too late to make positive changes in your life. With determination and effort, you can improve your physical and mental well-being at any age. Remember, it's about progress, not perfection, and every small step towards a healthier lifestyle can make a big difference.

4. Can changing my mindset really impact my life?

Absolutely! Our thoughts and beliefs have a powerful influence on our actions and behaviors. By adopting a more positive and optimistic mindset, you can attract more positivity and opportunities into your life. It's important to practice self-care and self-love, and surround yourself with uplifting and supportive people.

5. How can I stay updated on positive news?

There are many ways to stay updated on positive news, such as following uplifting social media accounts, subscribing to good news newsletters, or reading positive news websites and blogs. You can also make a conscious effort to focus on the good things happening in your own life and spread positivity to those around you.

Back