No low-frequency emission from Fast Radio Bursts

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Imager
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Emission Radio
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Imager
Gold Member
Messages
112
Reaction score
61
I didn't see where anyone else had brought this up. From the article:

The telescopes are the Murchison Widefield Array (MWA) and the Australian Square Kilometre Array Pathfinder (ASKAP), and they were synchronized to observe the same patch of sky, searching that area for fast radio bursts.

And indeed, in the published research, astronomers described how ASKAP did detect several extremely bright fast radio bursts, while the MWA – which scans the sky at lower radio frequencies – did not see anything, even though it was pointed at the same area of sky at the same time.​
Here is the article that I read:
https://Earth'sky.org/space/australian-telescopes-synchronized-fast-radio-burstsHere is the link to the actual paper.
https://arxiv.org/abs/1810.04355
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: TEFLing and davenn
Astronomy news on Phys.org
good article

thanks for posting links
I need to fully read and digest the original article