No notification on a subscribed thread (and it's only the 1st post after mine)

• Thread starter Ulysees
  • Start date
In summary, The conversation was about a user's issue with not receiving email notifications for replies to subscribed threads on the Physics Forums website. The user and others discussed potential solutions and tips for keeping track of subscribed threads. The issue seemed to have resolved itself and the user was grateful for the helpful tips.
Ulysees
I was wondering why I did not receive a notification for this message:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=1670147#post1670147

which was posted immediately after mine (not a subsequent message which would produce no notification by design).

I see my subscription is set to "instant" for this thread. So do I need to change anything else to get email notifications?

Physics news on Phys.org
I also have this problem. Occasionally, I do not get the email notification that somebody has replied to a thread I am subscribed too. Or maybe not so occasionally, because I'm sure I've missed a bunch. But occasionally I do happen to notice. And I even recheck that I am actually subscribed to the thread.

It happened today with this thread, for example:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=257016

The My PF main page is useful in keeping track of subscribed threads with replies since you last logged in. I mainly use that otherwise my e-mail box would be clogged.

Thanks Kurdt, I'll try to get in the habit of using My PF to track new posts in subscribed threads.

I'm also not getting any notifications to threads I've replied to (and I'm not subscribed to enough threads that it clogs my inbox). Even after explicit subscription after reply, I don't appear to get the emails.

Check your default thread subscription is set to give e-mail notification. You can check this in My PF > edit options.

My PF button is top left and the edit options button is in the menu down the left hand side.

Ironically, I got this notification fine;) My thread subscriptions are still set to give e-mail notifications, so maybe the problem has just fixed itself.

Kurdt said:
The My PF main page is useful in keeping track of subscribed threads with replies since you last logged in. I mainly use that otherwise my e-mail box would be clogged.

Thank you Kurdt, that's very usefull ! Should have figured it out myself, but I'm not the most computer-literate person in town :redface:

1. Why am I not receiving notifications for a thread I subscribed to?

There could be several reasons for this. It could be a technical issue with the platform or your settings may not be configured correctly. It's also possible that there have been no new posts on the thread since you last checked.

2. How can I troubleshoot the issue of not receiving notifications?

First, check your notification settings to make sure they are turned on for the specific thread. If they are, try checking your spam or junk folder in case the notifications are being filtered there. You can also try unsubscribing from the thread and then subscribing again to see if that resolves the issue.

3. Can I receive notifications for just the first post after mine on a subscribed thread?

Yes, most platforms have the option to receive notifications for just the first post after yours on a subscribed thread. This can help to reduce the number of notifications you receive while still keeping you updated on new activity.

4. Is there a limit to the number of threads I can subscribe to?

It depends on the platform you are using. Some may have a limit on the number of threads you can subscribe to, while others may not have any limit. It's best to check with the platform's guidelines or support team for more information.

5. How can I opt out of receiving notifications for a specific thread?

If you no longer wish to receive notifications for a specific thread, you can usually unsubscribe from it by clicking on the "unsubscribe" or "manage notifications" option within the thread. You can also adjust your notification settings to turn off notifications for that thread.