No Work Done during Circular Motion

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of work and how it relates to circular motion. The formula for work is mentioned, and the idea of proving that no work is done is brought up. It is suggested that, in circular motion, the direction of the resultant velocity is equivalent to the direction of the displacement vector, which is always at a 90 degree angle to the force. This helps to understand that no work is done in circular motion.
Peter G.
Hi guys, :smile:

Work Done = Force x Distance x cos of Theta - the angle between the Force and the Displacement Vector / direction of motion

In Circular motion I know the force but I am given velocity. In order to prove that no work is done is it correct to say the following:

If we have two velocities, one horizontal and another vertical and find the resultant, the direction of the resultant velocity will be the direction of the displacement vector.

Hence, in circular motion, we only have one velocity vector, we don't need to add. We can then consider it to be the direction of the displacement vector - this would always be at 90 degrees to the force making me understand that no work is done.

Thanks,
Peter G.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, so I will try and make my point clearer: Check the attachment.

Attachments

• Attach.jpg
    Attach.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 503

1. What is circular motion?

Circular motion is the movement of an object along a circular path. This type of motion involves a constant change in direction, but the object stays at a fixed distance from a central point.

2. Why is no work done during circular motion?

No work is done during circular motion because work is defined as the product of force and displacement in the direction of the force. In circular motion, the force and displacement are always perpendicular, so the work done is zero.

3. How does centripetal force relate to circular motion?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving along a circular path. It is always directed towards the center of the circle and is responsible for changing the direction of the object without changing its speed.

4. Can work be done during circular motion if there is friction?

Yes, work can be done during circular motion if there is friction present. In this case, the force of friction is not perpendicular to the displacement, so work is done to overcome the frictional force and maintain the circular motion.

5. How does the speed of an object affect the amount of work done during circular motion?

The speed of an object does not affect the amount of work done during circular motion. As long as the object is moving at a constant speed along a circular path, the work done will always be zero due to the perpendicular relationship between force and displacement.