Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nobel Committe Under Drug Influence?

1. Dec 18, 2008 #1

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Pharmaceutical giant AstraZeneca currently is the subject of a criminal investigation for possible influence in the awarding of the most recentl Nobel Prize in medicine.

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/article/555701

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 18, 2008 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

I don't know but that it looks a little slim. For something like the Nobel the appearance of impropriety is every bit as damaging as actual corruption. Recognizing that it is a complex world though, and there are lots of grant monies funding any number of academic efforts for all sorts of reasons from philanthropy to self interest, it's seemingly a daunting task to be sure that in such an interconnected world that all recusable associations are ferreted out before any damage is done.

Now taking junkets - if that's what it was - that could be another issue that I'd think they would already have rules about. And if they didn't they should. On the other hand an invitation to speak at a conference with an honorarium that covered expenses could as easily be seen as a junket. So I guess that we will have to see what investigation turns up, and hope that good sense would have prevailed. It would surely be disappointing to me if it turns out otherwise.

4. Dec 18, 2008 #3

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Would it be worth the effort?
    The customer isn't going to buy your aspirin/cold medicene over the other because you have a Nobel winner, the FDA aren't going to be persuaded to licence the drug any easier. And if you just wanted bragging rights that MegaPharmaCorp had more Nobel winners than GigaDrugsLLC you just poach a few near-retirees from universites.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?