Olympic Russian Curler Busted for Performance-Enhancing Drug

• Medical
  • Thread starter berkeman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Russian
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of meldonium, a banned substance, by a Russian curling athlete at the 2018 Winter Olympics. The Danish skip expresses shock and disbelief, but also acknowledges that some athletes may take unconventional substances for performance enhancement. The drug in question, meldonium, has been banned since 2016 and has led to previous doping cases for Russian athletes. The potential impact on the sport's reputation is also discussed.
berkeman
Mentor
I didn't know whether to post this in the "Weird News" thread or here in the Medical forum, but I'd be interested to hear what folks thought would be the huge advantage of taking meldonium to help with Curling...

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...tbox-five-facts-about-meldonium-idUSKCN1G20IT

I heard about this on the radio driving to work today, and at first I thought the sports-talk radio guys were just kidding around. But then I got to work and checked the news articles, and it appears to be true. What in the world...?

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/19/sports/olympics/olympic-curling-doping-reaction.html
“I was a bit shocked this morning,” said Madeleine Dupont, the skip of the Danish women’s team. “I was like, ‘That cannot be true.’ But then again, people have been taking all sorts of stuff: natural medicine or lip balm or I don’t know what. So I wouldn’t really judge anyone until I knew it was on purpose.”

Asked if she thought the sport’s reputation could be harmed, Dupont said: “I think most people will laugh and be like, ‘What would you possibly need doping for?’”

Krushelnytsky, in a routine urine check, was found to have traces of meldonium in his system. Use of the drug, a heart medicine that increases blood flow and has been banned from most sports since 2016, has ensnared other Russian athletes in doping cases in the past couple years.
merlin_134161212_b6aa4e9e-a407-4d4e-a9d0-540802d5b0ac-master675.jpg

Attachments

• merlin_134161212_b6aa4e9e-a407-4d4e-a9d0-540802d5b0ac-master675.jpg
    merlin_134161212_b6aa4e9e-a407-4d4e-a9d0-540802d5b0ac-master675.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 373
Biology news on Phys.org
Imagine working the same job for ten years and still having to sweep floors. It might take a little 'extra' something to get motivated.

Likes berkeman

1. What drug was the Olympic Russian curler busted for using?

The drug that the Olympic Russian curler, Alexander Krushelnitsky, was busted for using is meldonium.

2. How did the drug affect the Olympic Russian curler's performance?

Meldonium is known to increase blood flow and oxygen supply to muscles, which can improve endurance and performance. It is believed that the drug may have given Krushelnitsky an unfair advantage in the curling event.

3. How was the drug detected in the Olympic Russian curler's system?

The drug was detected during a routine drug test conducted after the curling event. Meldonium can stay in the body for several months, so it is possible that Krushelnitsky had taken the drug before the Olympics and it was still present in his system during the test.

4. What consequences will the Olympic Russian curler face for using a performance-enhancing drug?

Krushelnitsky could face disqualification from the Olympics and a potential ban from future Olympic events. He may also face sanctions and penalties from the International Olympic Committee and the World Anti-Doping Agency.

5. Has this type of doping scandal occurred before in the sport of curling?

This is the first time that a curler has been caught using a performance-enhancing drug in the Olympics. However, there have been previous cases of doping in the sport, particularly in the World Curling Federation Championships.

Back