Non-dispersive DSR (personal view of Jerzy K-G)

• Thread starter marcus
  • Start date
In summary, Non-dispersive DSR (Differential Scanning Rheology) is a technique used to measure the mechanical properties of materials by applying stress and measuring the resulting strain. It offers advantages such as a wider frequency range, higher sensitivity, and requiring a smaller sample volume compared to other rheology techniques. It can be used to measure the properties of both solid and liquid materials, making it versatile for studying a range of materials. Non-dispersive DSR is also suitable for studying time-dependent properties and has various applications in research and industry, including product development, quality control, and fundamental material studies.
marcus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
A recent paper of Jerzy K-G has this footnote on page 7, at the conclusion:

"3. Beware! These answers reflect my personal understanding and views, and may not be shared by other experts!"

I have the impression that K-G's view of DSR (that it is non-dispersive and does not predict energy dependence of the speed of light) may be gaining adherents.
I think I remember seeing something about this in a paper co-authored with Freidel. Kowalski-Glikman has been saying this for several years at least. I saw the view in a paper of his from several years back.

Here is what he says in the conclusions of this recent paper, on page 7:

Are there any deviations from Special Relativity predicted by DSR,
which can be observed in experiments in a foreseeable future? The field
theory presented above strongly suggest that there should be no such ob-
servable effects in cosmic rays (the predictions of DSR for both GLAST and
Pierre Auger signals seem to be effectively zero.) But there might be inter-
esting deviations for large quantum systems of energies close to the Planck
one, see [21] for the concrete proposal.

and the reference is to this paper:
[21] J. Magueijo, “Could quantum gravity be tested with high intensity
lasers?,” Phys. Rev. D 73 (2006) 124020 [arXiv:gr-qc/0603073].

Here is the K-G paper:
http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/0612280
Doubly Special Relativity at the age of six
Jerzy Kowalski-Glikman
To appear in the Proceedings of 22nd Max Born Symposium

"The current status of Doubly Special Relativity research program is shortly presented.
I dedicate this paper to my teacher and friend Professor Jerzy Lukierski on occasion of his seventieth birthday."

Physics news on Phys.org
It is interesting that Jerzy K-G has a footnote on page 7 in his recent paper that cautions readers that his views may not be shared by other experts. He is suggesting that his view of DSR (non-dispersive and does not predict energy dependence of the speed of light) is gaining adherents, and he references a paper co-authored with Freidel as well as his own paper from several years back that supports this view. It will be interesting to see if these views gain even more traction in the future.

I appreciate Kowalski-Glikman's honesty in stating that his views on DSR are personal and may not be shared by other experts. It is always important to acknowledge that scientific ideas and theories are constantly evolving and subject to debate and scrutiny. While I am not familiar with all of the details of DSR and its potential deviations from Special Relativity, I find it interesting that Kowalski-Glikman suggests that there may be observable effects for large quantum systems near the Planck energy scale. This is an area that could potentially be explored through experiments with high intensity lasers, as proposed in the referenced paper by Magueijo. I look forward to seeing further research and discussions on this topic in the future.

What is non-dispersive DSR and how does it work?

Non-dispersive DSR (Differential Scanning Rheology) is a technique used to measure the mechanical properties of materials by applying stress and measuring the resulting strain. It works by applying a small oscillatory stress to the sample and measuring the corresponding strain response. This allows for the determination of viscoelastic properties such as storage modulus, loss modulus, and damping factor.

What are the advantages of non-dispersive DSR compared to other rheology techniques?

Non-dispersive DSR offers several advantages over other rheology techniques. It has a wider frequency range, allowing for more accurate measurement of viscoelastic properties. It also has a higher sensitivity, making it suitable for measuring the properties of low-viscosity materials. Additionally, non-dispersive DSR does not require a large sample volume, making it more cost-effective and allowing for testing of smaller samples.

Can non-dispersive DSR be used to measure the properties of both solid and liquid materials?

Yes, non-dispersive DSR can be used to measure the properties of both solid and liquid materials. It is able to accurately measure the viscoelastic properties of solids, as well as the viscosity of liquids. This makes it a versatile tool for studying a wide range of materials, including polymers, gels, and emulsions.

Is non-dispersive DSR suitable for studying time-dependent properties of materials?

Yes, non-dispersive DSR is well-suited for studying time-dependent properties of materials. It is able to measure the dynamic response of materials to stress over a range of frequencies, making it ideal for studying the viscoelastic behavior of materials over time. Additionally, non-dispersive DSR can be used to study the effects of temperature and other environmental factors on material properties.

What are some potential applications of non-dispersive DSR in research and industry?

Non-dispersive DSR has numerous applications in both research and industry. It can be used to study the properties of polymers and other materials for use in various products, such as adhesives, coatings, and biomedical devices. It is also commonly used in the development and testing of new materials, as well as in quality control processes. In research, non-dispersive DSR is often used to study the fundamental properties of materials and to better understand their behavior under different conditions.