Non-Electric/Gas Water Pumping in Africa: Hydro Ram?

  • Thread starter Thread starter bhoke81
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Ram Water
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 5K views
bhoke81
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
I am in Africa and need an non electric non gas water pumping application. I have design information and what I have been reading is that the pump needs to be lower than the drive pipe. I am trying to pump water up 12 vertical feet from a river. There is no bank and my land goes to up to the waters edge and drops 12ft. Will a hydro ram pump work? If not are there any other non gas no electric options.

Thank you.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, the pump needs to be lower than the drive pipe. This is a good website covering the basics http://www.clemson.edu/irrig/equip/ram.htm

Not knowing the details of your site makes it difficult to provide a detailed answer. However, here is a clip showing a design that might fit your needs. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oCt-EHQQvs&feature=related

How wide is the river? If you can position a cable across the river, that could be used to position a number of paddle wheel water pump options. Also, here is a clip on the Archimedes screw http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gq3Vm4vifU&NR=1

More detail on the situation would help.