Non-integrable tangent distributions

In summary, the conversation discusses the Frobenius integrability theorem, which is a fundamental result in the theory of manifolds. The theorem states that a tangent distribution is integrable if and only if it is involutive, and gives a simple answer to finding functions that satisfy a given one-form. The conversation also mentions different resources for further reading and a potential counter example that was later disproved.
jostpuur
What kind of tangent distributions are not integrable? Is there concrete examples with two dimensional non-integrable distributions in three dimensions? When I draw a picture of two smooth vector fields in three dimensions, they always seem to generate some submanifold, indicating integrability.

Physics news on Phys.org
Examples of the Frobenius Integrability Theorem

For other readers: jostpuur is asking about a fundamental result in the theory of manifolds, the Frobenius integrability theorem, which gives a very simple answer to questions like this: given a one-form [itex]\alpha[/itex], when can we find functions f,g such that [itex]\alpha = f \, dg[/itex]? In this case, in terms of DEs we have found an integrating factor for the first order equation [itex]\alpha(h) = 0[/itex]. For one-forms on R^3 the problem of finding "integral two-surfaces" through the two-analog of a vector field, which unlike the one-case is nontrivial, reduces to this question.

A special case of the Frobenius integrability theorem says that (assuming the given one-form [itex]\alpha[/itex] is nonzero on the neighborhood of interest) there exist f,g such that [itex]\alpha = f \, dg[/itex] iff [itex]d\alpha = \mu \wedge \alpha[/itex] for some one-form [itex]\mu[/itex].

jostpuur, what book are you reading? This is so important that I am surprised it offers no examples. (I seem to constantly recommend Flanders, Differential Forms with Applications to the Physical Sciences, Dover reprint, which does offer examples.) Does what I've said before help you find an example? If not, ask again, I can give you explicit examples.

Last edited:
I'm reading lecture notes of the course, which are in pdf form, but not in English. The notes mention Frobenius theorem, but it seems to be in a different form. It says that a tangent distribution is integrable precisely when it is involutive.

Distribution [itex]\Delta[/itex] is defined to be integrable, when for each [itex]p\in M[/itex], there exists a submanifold [itex]N[/itex] so that [itex]p\in N[/itex] and that [itex]T_q N = \Delta_q[/itex] for all [itex]q\in N[/itex].

Distribution is defined to be involutive, if always when [itex]X_p, Y_p\in \Delta_p[/itex], where X and Y are tangent vector fields, also [itex][X,Y]_p\in \Delta_p[/itex].

Is this theorem the same thing what you were talking about, but only in different form?

Yes, exactly the same. Your course is more sophisticated than I thought, so you should see Flanders (for examples), Spivak (for alternative gender), and also Boothby (for alternative forms of the Frobenius theorem).

Last edited:
By drawing pictures, it looked like that I would have had a counter example to the Frobenius theorem, but now when got into equations, the flaw in the attempt became apparent. So, it seems everything is fine now.

There seems to be a huge list of books I should read. Too many books, too little time.

Chris Hillman said:
Your course is more sophisticated than I thought

This theorem was only mentioned, and not proved, in the lecture notes. So it could be that the course is not as sophisticated as you were thinking, but I cannot know for sure of course.

1. What is a non-integrable tangent distribution?

A non-integrable tangent distribution is a set of vector fields on a manifold that cannot be smoothly extended to a global frame. This means that there is no single set of vector fields that can be used to define a coordinate system for the entire manifold.

2. How is a non-integrable tangent distribution different from an integrable one?

An integrable tangent distribution is one where there exists a set of vector fields that can be used to define a coordinate system for the entire manifold. In contrast, a non-integrable tangent distribution does not have a global frame, and therefore, there is no single coordinate system that can be used to describe the entire space.

3. What are some examples of non-integrable tangent distributions?

One example is the tangent distribution on the 2-sphere, which cannot be smoothly extended to define a global coordinate system. Another example is the tangent distribution on a twisted torus, where the twisting of the torus prevents the existence of a global frame.

4. What are the applications of studying non-integrable tangent distributions?

Understanding non-integrable tangent distributions is important in fields such as differential geometry, topology, and mathematical physics. It can also have applications in engineering, such as in the study of control systems and robotics.

5. How are non-integrable tangent distributions related to Lie algebras?

Lie algebras are closely related to tangent distributions, as they provide a way to classify and study the structure of the distribution. In particular, non-integrable tangent distributions are associated with non-commutative Lie algebras, while integrable tangent distributions are associated with commutative Lie algebras.