2-Plane Distribution in Cylindrical Coords.

In summary: I.e., at a given point in space, the argument of the θ-function is only defined up to a coordinate transformation?Yes, the θ-function is only locally defined. However, it is still possible to work with the distribution in terms of the standard coordinates, by changing to cylindrical coordinates.
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi all,

I am trying to describe/understand how to define a 2-plane distribution in R^3 , i.e., an assignment of a 2-plane at each tangent space, when the distribution is given in terms of
the basis of a plane in (R^3, cylindrical). It has just been a while since I have worked with cylindrical cords.

The plane at a given point (at each tangent space) is given by its basis in terms of (r,θ,z) (actually, it is given in terms of the basis (∂r,∂θ,∂z)) by: {(0,0,∂z), (r∂r,∂θ,0)} . IIRC ,This basis is pairwise- orthogonal, and the r-axis at a fixed point (r,θ,z) is a line segment that starts at (0,0,z) and ends in (r,θ,z) . The z-axis is the same as that used in Cartesians. That leaves one choice for the θ-axis , using pairwise orthogonality. It seems clear that this distribution is radially-constant, i.e., constant for fixed vaues of r.

I think we can use, outside of r=0, a sort-of slope given by the ratios of the coefficient vector fields, so that, e.g., in the z-θ plane, the slope is 1, since the ratio of the coefficient fields is itself always 1. And in the r-θ and r-z axes/directions the slopes are both r-to-1.

Does this work? Is there an easier way?

Physics news on Phys.org
WWGD said:
Is there an easier way?
Why not just make distributions in the standard coordinates and then change to cylindrical coordinates? Or, am I misunderstanding?

Pond Dragon said:
Why not just make distributions in the standard coordinates and then change to cylindrical coordinates? Or, am I misunderstanding?

You're not misunderstanding, you're misunderestimating, I would say ;).

Part of the problem is that there is no global change of coordinates between the two. But it is a good idea to try that and see what happens with the local changes of coords.
For the sake of context, FWIW, this distribution is a contact distribution given as the kernel of the (contact, of course) 1-form:

w:=dr+rdθ

But it is messy (messi, if you're Argentinian) to work with "moving frames" (don't know if that is the best name/description ).

WWGD said:
Part of the problem is that there is no global change of coordinates between the two.
Distributions are invariant of the coordinate system, right? Even then, I'm pretty sure you can cover [itex]\mathbb{R}^3[/itex] with only two "cylindrical" charts...

Plus, isn't [itex]\mathrm{d}\theta[/itex] only locally defined anyway?

I can confirm that your understanding and approach to defining a 2-plane distribution in cylindrical coordinates is correct. The basis you have described is indeed pairwise-orthogonal and the distribution is radially-constant. Your method of using ratios of the coefficient vector fields to determine the slope in each direction is a valid approach. However, there may be other ways to define and understand this distribution, and it ultimately depends on the specific context in which it is being studied. I would recommend consulting with other experts in the field or conducting further research to explore alternative methods.

1. What is a 2-Plane Distribution in Cylindrical Coordinates?

A 2-Plane Distribution in Cylindrical Coordinates is a mathematical concept used in studying the distribution of points in a cylindrical coordinate system. It involves two planes intersecting at a right angle and passing through the origin of the coordinate system. This distribution is often used in physics and engineering to analyze the behavior of particles or objects moving in a cylindrical space.

2. How is a 2-Plane Distribution represented mathematically?

In cylindrical coordinates, a 2-Plane Distribution is represented by two equations, one for each plane. These equations are typically in the form of r = a and z = b, where r and z are the coordinates of a point in the cylindrical system and a and b are constants. These equations define the boundaries of the planes and any point that satisfies both equations lies within the distribution.

3. What are the applications of a 2-Plane Distribution in Cylindrical Coordinates?

A 2-Plane Distribution in Cylindrical Coordinates is commonly used in various fields such as fluid mechanics, electromagnetism, and structural analysis. It is used to determine the behavior of particles or objects moving in a cylindrical space, the flow of fluids through cylindrical objects, and the distribution of forces and stresses in cylindrical structures.

4. How is a 2-Plane Distribution different from a 3-Plane Distribution?

A 2-Plane Distribution involves two planes intersecting at a right angle, while a 3-Plane Distribution involves three planes intersecting at a point. In cylindrical coordinates, a 3-Plane Distribution is represented by three equations, one for each plane, and the point of intersection is determined by solving the equations simultaneously. The two distributions have different applications and are used in different contexts.

5. Can a 2-Plane Distribution exist in other coordinate systems?

Yes, a 2-Plane Distribution can also exist in other coordinate systems such as spherical and Cartesian coordinates. In these systems, the equations defining the planes will be different, but the concept of two planes intersecting at a right angle remains the same. The distribution will also have different applications depending on the coordinate system it is used in.