Non-Orthogonality of Frames Del/Delx^i ; i=1, n

• Thread starter WWGD
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Frames
In summary, the conversation discusses the existence and construction of orthonormal frames and coordinate systems on Riemannian manifolds. It is noted that although it is possible to construct orthonormal coordinates, it does not mean that every coordinate system is orthonormal. The essential property of coordinate vector fields is that they commute, and whether a coordinate system is orthonormal depends on the metric. It is also mentioned that on curved manifolds, orthogonal coordinate systems are possible but not necessarily orthonormal ones. The conversation also delves into the use of Gram-Schmidt to prove the existence of orthonormal frames and the difficulties in extending them to coordinate systems on curved manifolds. The example of constructing an orthon
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi, everyone:

In an effort to show that at any point p in a Riemannian mfld. M
there is an orthonormal basis --relatively straightforward--a new
question came up:

Why aren't the coordinate vector fields always orthonormal?.
I know these are orthonormal when M is locally isometric to
IR^n, but cannot see how?.

We can prove the existence of the orthonormal frames using
Gram-Schmidt. I tried applying Gram-Schmidt to the coord.
V.Fields, see if the projections canceled out, but this is
not working.

Any Ideas?.
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, although it is possible to construct ortonormal coordinates, this does not mean that every coordinate system is ortonormal.

The essential property of coordinate vector fields is that they commute. Whether a coordinate system is ortonormal depends on the metric.

OrderOfThings said:
Well, although it is possible to construct ortonormal coordinates, this does not mean that every coordinate system is ortonormal.

The essential property of coordinate vector fields is that they commute. Whether a coordinate system is ortonormal depends on the metric.

Right, but wouldn't the metric be the Riemannian metric?. I assume the issue is
that we cannot always assign a Riemannian metric such that the coord. V.Fields
would be orthogonal, unless the Riemannian mfld. is locally flat. I hope this is not
a dumb comment, I am fuzzy on this area.

I am not sure I understand your question. Are you wondering when it is possible to extend an ortonormal frame at some point to an ortonormal local coordinate system?

To get such a coordinate system one would like to parallel transport the frame to each point in some neighbourhood and thus hope to get a set of coordinate vector fields. For that to work out, the manifold must, just as you mention, be flat.

But note that although ortonormal coordinate systems are not possible on curved manifolds, ortogonal are. Usual azimuth/zenith coordinates on the sphere is an example of this.

OrderOfThings said:
I am not sure I understand your question. Are you wondering when it is possible to extend an ortonormal frame at some point to an ortonormal local coordinate system?

To get such a coordinate system one would like to parallel transport the frame to each point in some neighbourhood and thus hope to get a set of coordinate vector fields. For that to work out, the manifold must, just as you mention, be flat.

But note that although ortonormal coordinate systems are not possible on curved manifolds, ortogonal are. Usual azimuth/zenith coordinates on the sphere is an example of this.

Thanks again, OOT

But, if we have orthogonality, can't we just normalize each vector to have length
1 , to get orthonormality?.

I was working under this setup:

The Riemannian metric determines orthogonality, in that

Xi_p orthogonal Xj_p , (i.e, both are based at the same tangent space), if

g_p<Xi_p,Xj_p>=0 , where g_p is the 2-tensor field at p .

If I apply Gram-Schmidt to a basis, I get an ortho. basis. If I start with

an ortho basis and apply Gr.-Schmidt , I end up with the same basis.

I was then trying to see that the coord. V.Fields are not always Orthonormal

by applying Gram-Schmidt (on a fixed tangent space to p ) to the coord. V.Fields

{ Del/Delx^i } at p , and seeing why we would not get {Del/Delx^i} back after

G-Schmidt -- but I don't see why we don't :

First step: Given {Del/Delx^i } at p, turn it into an orthonormal base:{Y1,...Yn}.
g_p=<,>_p is the tensor field at p

Y1:=X1

Y2:=X2 - [ <X1,Y1>_p/<X1,X1>_p]X1

So that we would get Yj=Xj at every step. And I think this means that each term
in Gram Schmidt after the first, would then be zero, i.e, given :

Yk:=Xk - [...]

We would have [...] == 0.

Thanks, Happy Nw Year, Merry Christma-Hannu -Kwanza-Dan, or Happy Festivus-- if that is possible :)

For the sphere one can try to convert the azimuth ([itex]\theta[/itex]) and zenith ([itex]\phi[/itex]) coordinate system into an ortonormal system. Since the lengths of the basis vectors are

[tex]|\mathbf{e}_\theta| = \frac{1}{\sin\phi}\qquad|\mathbf{e}_\phi| = 1[/tex]

one replaces these with a normalised frame field

[tex]\mathbf{e}_u=\sin\phi\,\mathbf{e}_\theta\qquad\mathbf{e}_v=\mathbf{e}_\phi[/tex]

This means that one is trying to define new coordinates [itex](u,v)[/itex] as

[tex] u = \int \frac{1}{\sin\phi}d\theta\qquad v = \phi[/tex]

To see if this works, calculate [itex]\Delta u[/itex] around a "rectangle" with corners [itex](\theta_0,\phi_0)[/itex] and [itex](\theta_0 + 1,\phi_0 + 1)[/itex]:

[tex]\Delta u = \mathop{\int_\text{rectangle}}_\text{boundary}\frac{1}{\sin\phi}d\theta=\frac{1}{\sin\phi_0} - \frac{1}{\sin (\phi_0 +1)}\neq 0[/itex]

This means that [itex]u[/itex] does not work as a coordinate function, it is path-dependent.

The other way of saying the same thing is to note that

[tex]\left[\sin\phi\,\partial_\theta,\partial_\phi\right] = \sin\phi\,\partial_\theta\partial_\phi - \partial_\phi\sin\phi\,\partial_\theta = -\cos\phi\,\partial_\theta[/tex]

So the normalised vector fields no longer commute.

Yet another way of understanding this is to see that given [itex]du=d\theta/\sin\phi[/itex], then

[tex] d^2u = -\frac{\cos\phi}{\sin^2\phi}d\phi\wedge d\theta \neq 0[/tex]

Hence [itex]du[/itex] is not closed.

Very Helpful. Thanks for your patience and thoroughness, Order of Things.

Thanks, diff. geometry is great stuff. :smile:

What is the concept of "Non-Orthogonality of Frames Del/Delx^i ; i=1, n"?

The concept of "Non-Orthogonality of Frames Del/Delx^i ; i=1, n" refers to the idea that the coordinate frames used in a mathematical or physical model are not perfectly perpendicular to each other. This can occur due to various factors such as measurement errors or the inherent nature of the system being studied.

Why is it important to consider non-orthogonality of frames in scientific research?

Considering the non-orthogonality of frames is crucial in scientific research as it allows for a more accurate and realistic representation of the system being studied. Ignoring non-perpendicularity can lead to errors and inaccuracies in the results and conclusions drawn from the research.

How is non-orthogonality of frames quantified or measured?

The non-orthogonality of frames can be quantified by calculating the angles between the coordinate axes of the frames or by measuring the dot product of the basis vectors. These measurements can then be compared to an ideal, perfectly perpendicular frame to determine the degree of non-orthogonality.

What are some potential sources of non-orthogonality in coordinate frames?

Non-orthogonality in coordinate frames can arise from a variety of sources such as misalignments in measurement equipment, imperfections in the physical system being studied, or limitations in the mathematical model used to describe the system.

How can non-orthogonality of frames be accounted for in data analysis and modeling?

In data analysis and modeling, non-orthogonality of frames can be accounted for by using correction techniques such as orthogonalization or by including an additional error term in the calculations. It is also important to carefully consider the potential impact of non-orthogonality on the results and adjust the analysis and interpretation accordingly.