Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Non Stieltjes integrable function

1. Dec 9, 2011 #1
    I know that this function [itex] f : [-2,2] \to \mathbb{R} [/itex]
    [itex] f(x) = \begin{cases} 1 & \textrm{ if } x \geq 0 \\ 0 & \textrm{ if } x < 0 \end{cases} [/itex]
    is not Riemann-Stieltjes integrable with itself (that is, taking [itex] g = f [/itex] then [itex] f \not\in R(g) [/itex])
    That is because both share a point of discontinuity, namely 0.

What I don't know is how do I justify this? for wich partition does the limit of the superior sums and the inferior sums don't equal? Shouldn't this integral be equal to 1? (all the terms in the sum cancel except at zero, where [itex] \triangle g = 1-0 = 1 [/itex], and [itex] f(0) = 1[/itex]

I think I'm not seeing it correctly.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2011 #2

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

In computing the upper and lower sums, the contribution of an interval like [-0.1, 0] involves more than f(0). You have to use the infimum of f on the interval when computing the lower sum.

I found a PDF of class notes that supposedly proves the theorm that if the two functions share a common point of discontinuity then they are not Riemann-Stieljes integrable. (page 3 of 5) It looks like it's hard to prove!

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...sg=AFQjCNEL7sm8dOrwngWsUyk-yVKajXGqQA&cad=rja

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook