1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Non-trivial field limits' equivalence?

1. Dec 30, 2006 #1
    What is the field F(r) with the least symmetry and which obeys

lim F(r) as r --> oo = lim F(r) as r --> 0

?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 30, 2006 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What sort of symmetry? In what way are you quantifying it?

4. Dec 31, 2006 #3
    I thought that the putative field may have a minimal symmetry where r is of constant magnitude and isotropic in direction, but that there might be a fractal field of lesser symmetry that obeys the given conditions. Permit me a modification:

"What is the field F(r) with the least symmetry and which obeys

lim F(r) as r --> oo = lim F(r) as r --> 0

?"

5. Dec 31, 2006 #4

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What sort of symmetry? In what way are you quantifying the symmetry?

6. Dec 31, 2006 #5

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What do 'constant magnitude', and 'isotropic in direction', or 'fractal fields' mean (in this context, or any context for the last two; isoptropic means 'equal in all directions, so how can anything be isotropic in direction?' )?

7. Dec 31, 2006 #6
    Hurkyl,

Geometric symmetry. I am quantifying the symmetry as a (metric) space.

Matt Grime,

"Constant magnitude" (which is incorrect; r is variable) and "isotropic in direction" (which is redundant) refer to the radius vector r correctly being "isotropic at every point." By "fractal field" I speculate that the embedded field as defined may not fill the original space at every point.

8. Jan 1, 2007 #7

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yep, that still makes no sense.

How are you defining 'symmetry of a field' to be a vector space? What is a symmetry of a field? (I am asking for your definition, since I don't know that you're using symmetry to mean an automorphism Given your non-standard usage of terms I am assuming not.) How are they, whatever they are, metrized?

It appears r is a vector. You've not said in what vector space? What does it mean for a 'field' to be embedded in a vector space? What is the definition of 'fill' that you're using.

All these questions, and probably more, mean we have no idea what you're talking about.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2007
  9. Jan 1, 2007 #8
    Thank you for your patience.

Consider a one-dimensional space. Apply the constraint that the assigned value at any point equals the value at a distance from the point approaching infinity. What distribution, with greater complexity than where all values are constant and equal, obeys the constraint? Might a "class" of fractal distributions meet this condition?

10. Jan 1, 2007 #9

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You really are not making any sense what-so-ever. Do you understand what a field is? Do you understand that a field does not have a point called infinity, and very few fields have any notion of distance at all? Are you going to answer any of the questions I asked or should I assume I'm wasting my time? I know what answer I'm leaning towards on that one.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2007
  11. Jan 1, 2007 #10
    I'm sorry if I'm wasting your time. Apparently I am not as mathematiclly literate as I thought I was. You are right that a field does not have "a point called infinity," a major weakness in my argument. Allow me to retreat and possibly present my repaired premise in the future.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?