Non-Uniform Circular Motion: Locomotive Rounding a Curve

In summary, the question asks for the locomotive's speed at a particular instant as it rounds a circular curve with radius 2.10 km and increasing speed at a rate of 0.440 m/s2. The total acceleration, found using the vector sum of centripetal and tangential accelerations, is given as 0.760 m/s2. To solve, one can use the equation for radial acceleration, Ar = v^2/R, and then substitute the value into the equation for speed, V = √((RAr)/(-m)). However, since no mass is given in the question, the equation for radial acceleration is simply v^2/R.
Becca93

Homework Statement

As a locomotive rounds a circular curve of radius 2.10 km (which would be 2100 m to keep all the units the same), its speed is increasing at a rate of 0.440 m/s2. An instrument in the cab (an accelerometer) indicates that the magnitude of the locomotive's total acceleration at a particular instant is 0.760 m/s2. What is the locomotive's speed at that instant?

After I got it wrong the first few times, I was also given the hint: "The total acceleration is the VECTOR sum of the centripetal acceleration and the tangential acceleration."

Homework Equations

The equations I have in my notes regarding non-uniform circular motion are:
Radial Acceleration: Ar = -(mv^2)/R

Tangential acceleration: At = d|v|/dt

and Total Acceleration: Atot = √(Ar^2 + At^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

To solve, would it be correct to do the following:

Ar = √(Atot^2 - At^2)

And then sub that number into

V = √((RAr)/(-m)

But, if I were to do that, I would get the square root of a negative number, which is an irrational number, which I can't have as a velocity?

Is there a better way to go about this question? What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Becca93 said:
The negative sign just indicates that the acceleration is towards the center. Just worry about the magnitude.

Otherwise your approach is fine.

Doc Al said:
The negative sign just indicates that the acceleration is towards the center. Just worry about the magnitude.

Otherwise your approach is fine.

But there is no 'm' given in the question, and I don't know how to get radial acceleration any other way.

Becca93 said:
But there is no 'm' given in the question, and I don't know how to get radial acceleration any other way.
Oops, I didn't see that. Your equation is not quite right:
Becca93 said:
That's the centripetal force. The radial acceleration is just v^2/R.

Doc Al said:
Oops, I didn't see that. Your equation is not quite right:

That's the centripetal force. The radial acceleration is just v^2/R.

I must have copied it incorrectly during class. Thank you!

1. What is non-uniform circular motion?

Non-uniform circular motion is a type of motion in which an object moves along a circular path while its speed or direction constantly changes. This is different from uniform circular motion, where the object moves at a constant speed along a circular path.

2. How does a locomotive round a curve?

When a locomotive rounds a curve, it experiences non-uniform circular motion. As the locomotive moves along the curved track, its speed and direction constantly change, causing it to accelerate and decelerate as it navigates the curve.

3. What causes a locomotive to experience non-uniform circular motion?

The locomotive experiences non-uniform circular motion due to the centripetal force acting on it. This force is directed towards the center of the circular path and is responsible for keeping the locomotive on its curved trajectory.

4. How is the centripetal force calculated for a locomotive rounding a curve?

The centripetal force can be calculated using the formula Fc = mv^2/r, where Fc is the centripetal force, m is the mass of the locomotive, v is its speed, and r is the radius of the curve.

5. What is the role of friction in non-uniform circular motion?

Friction plays a crucial role in non-uniform circular motion. Without friction, the locomotive would continue moving in a straight line instead of rounding the curve. The friction between the locomotive's wheels and the tracks provides the necessary force to change the direction of motion and keep it on the curved path.