1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tangential and Radial Acceleration problem!

1. Feb 9, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

As a locomotive rounds a circular curve of radius 1.80 km, its speed is increasing at a rate of 0.440 m/s2. An instrument in the cab (an accelerometer) indicates that the magnitude of the locomotive's total acceleration at a particular instant is 0.680 m/s2. What is the locomotive's speed at that instant?

at = 0.440 m/s^2
    a = 0.680 m/s^2
    r = 1800 m

2. Relevant equations

a = sqrt(aradial^2 + atangential^2) (1)

ar = -[(v^2)/r] (2)

3. The attempt at a solution

ar = sqrt(0.440^2 + 0.680^2)

ar= 0.80993

0.80993 = -[v^2 divided by 1800 m]

-38.2 But it is showing up in my online assignment that is it wrong :(

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2009 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Welcome to PF.

I think you almost have it.

It's just that you maybe have switched the sense of what the problem tells you.

You have 2 accelerations as you recognized. Tangential acceleration and Centripetal (Radial).

And the magnitude of their relationship taken together is as I think you figured Radial2 + Tangential2 = Total2

So far so good. But in the statement of the problem they tell you the Tangential and they tell you the Total, but not the Radial. That's what you need to figure the Tangential velocity.

Just change the way you figured it.

4. Feb 9, 2009 #3
    thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook