Nonconducting concentric cylinders

• Thread starter J2012
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cylinders
In summary, the problem involves determining the electric field as a function of distance from the center of a set of concentric cylinders with different radii and charge densities. The Gauss's law and flux equations are used to calculate the electric field, assuming the cylinders are very long compared to the outer radius. The electric field is assumed to be perpendicular to the curved surface and purely in the radial direction. The material of the concentric cylinder tube is not specified, but it is assumed to have the same charge density as the inner cylinder. The electric field is also calculated for different ranges of radii, including inside and outside the cylinders.
J2012

Homework Statement

A very long solid nonconducting cylinger of radius R1 is uniformly charged with a charge density of volume charge densty pE. It is surrounded by a concentric cylinder tube of inner radius R2 and outer radius R3.

Determine the electric field as a function of the distance R from the center of the cylinders for:
a) 0 < R < R1
b) R1 < R < R2
c) R2 < R < R3
d) R > R3
e) If the charge density pE = 15 uC/m3 and R1 = 1/2R2 = 1/3R3 = 5.0 cm, plot E as a function of R from R = 0 and R = 20.0 cm. Assume the cylinders are very long compared to R3

Image looks like one in this thread: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=390934

Homework Equations

Gauss's law

Flux = E * A = pE / e_0 * [Volume of cylinder]

The Attempt at a Solution

So part a). R is between zero and the radius of the inner cylinder.

flux = pE/e_0 [pi*R^2*l]

flux = E * Curved Area = E * 2*pi*R1*l

pE/e_0 [pi*R^2*l] = E * 2 * pi * R1 * l

E = (pE * R^2)/ e_0 * 2R1

Am I on the right track? I did this as if I was calculating the electric field outside the cylinder. Should I have done it for the electric field inside the cylinder?

Physics news on Phys.org
Also, how do I know if the electric field is directed towards the circular surface of the cylinders or to the curved part?

Okay, so I think I would calculate a) as if it was a radius enclosed in the small cylinder. I'm assume the E is perpendicular to the curved surface. I'm not sure how to determine if the field is perpendicular to the curved surface or the flat circles.

b) I would calculate it as a radius outside the small cylinder.

When calculating a) and b) does the shell surrounding the cylinder have any affect on the E of the solid cylinder?

c) I am a bit confused on this part - The radius is inside the cylindrical shell that is surrounding the solid cylinder. So am I calculating the electric field within the shell? How do I calculate that?

d) The radius surrounds the entire structure (shell and solid cylinder). Same with part c) how am I supposed to calculate this?

Normally, for this kind of problem, it is assumed that you are calculating the field very far from either end of the cylinder, so that the electric field (where it is non-zero) is purely in the radial direction. (The radial direction is perpendicular to the common axis of the cylinders.)

I would guess that the concentric cylinder tube of inner radius R2 and outer radius R3 is made of a conducting material. I suppose it could also be made of the same material (with the same charge density) as the inner cylinder.

To answer your very last question: The interior of the inner cylinder has r values in the range; 0 < r < R1, so you need to find the field here also.

The shell is shown to be nonconducting and equal in charge density.

1. What are nonconducting concentric cylinders?

Nonconducting concentric cylinders are a type of electrical capacitor that consists of two cylindrical conductors, one inside the other, with an insulating material between them. The outer cylinder is typically grounded, while the inner cylinder is charged with electricity.

2. How do nonconducting concentric cylinders work?

Nonconducting concentric cylinders work by storing electrical charge between the two cylinders. The outer cylinder acts as one plate of the capacitor, while the inner cylinder acts as the other plate. The insulating material between them, known as the dielectric, helps to maintain the charge by preventing it from escaping.

3. What are the applications of nonconducting concentric cylinders?

Nonconducting concentric cylinders are commonly used as capacitors in electrical circuits. They can also be found in high voltage power lines, where they help to regulate and distribute electricity. Additionally, they are used in electronic devices such as radios, televisions, and computers.

4. What are the advantages of using nonconducting concentric cylinders?

Nonconducting concentric cylinders have several advantages over other types of capacitors. They have a high capacitance-to-volume ratio, meaning they can store a large amount of charge in a relatively small space. They also have a low self-inductance, allowing them to charge and discharge quickly. Additionally, they have a high breakdown voltage, making them suitable for use in high voltage applications.

5. What are the limitations of nonconducting concentric cylinders?

One limitation of nonconducting concentric cylinders is their susceptibility to dielectric breakdown. If the voltage between the cylinders becomes too high, the dielectric material can break down, causing a short circuit. They also have a limited frequency response, meaning they are not suitable for use in high frequency circuits. Additionally, their capacitance may vary with temperature and humidity, which can affect their performance.