How do I solve this Nonlinear First Order Differential Equation?

• Thread starter pvgomes07
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Nonlinear
In summary, the conversation is about a person encountering a problem with a non-linear first order differential equation while studying on their own. They are struggling to find the transfer function and have tried to expand it to a Taylor Series for linearization without success. They also mention integrating it as a possible solution.
pvgomes07
Hello!

I am taking a self study diff e course, and I have run into a problem with no one to ask for help.
Here is the problem:

d/dt [ h^3(t) + 3h(t)^2 + 3h(t) ] = q(t)

h(t) is output.
q(t) is input.

is this Nonlinear First Order Differential Equation.
But I could not expand to Taylor Series for linearization... :/

I'm trying to find the transfer function.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
It should be basic Calculus that
[tex]\frac{d}{dx}(h^3+ 3h^2+ 3h)= q(t)[/tex]
[tex] 3h^2\frac{dh}{dt}+ 6h\frac{dh}{dt}+ 3\frac{dh}{dt}= (3h^2+ 6h+ 3)\frac{dh}{dt}= q(t)[/tex]
Now what is the linearization of that?

pvgomes07 said:
Hello!

I am taking a self study diff e course, and I have run into a problem with no one to ask for help.
Here is the problem:

d/dt [ h^3(t) + 3h(t)^2 + 3h(t) ] = q(t)

h(t) is output.
q(t) is input.

is this Nonlinear First Order Differential Equation.
But I could not expand to Taylor Series for linearization... :/

I'm trying to find the transfer function.

Thanks!

Maybe this will help:

h3 + 3 h2 + 3h = (h +1)3 -1

Hi !
Why not imtegrate it first ?

Attachments

• Simple ODE.JPG
    Simple ODE.JPG
    12.6 KB · Views: 424
JJacquelin said:
Hi !
Why not imtegrate it first ?

Yeah! Thank you very much!
:)

1. What is a nonlinear 1st order differential equation?

A nonlinear 1st order differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves the derivatives of a function and is not linear in terms of the dependent variable. This means that the derivative of the function is raised to a power or multiplied by another function, making it nonlinear.

2. What makes a nonlinear 1st order differential equation difficult to solve?

Nonlinear 1st order differential equations are difficult to solve because they do not have a general formula or method for solving like linear equations do. The solutions to nonlinear equations may also have multiple branches or be impossible to solve analytically, requiring numerical methods for approximation.

3. How can nonlinear 1st order differential equations be used in real-world applications?

Nonlinear 1st order differential equations are used to model various physical and biological systems in the real world. For example, they can be used to describe the growth of populations, the motion of objects under the influence of forces, and the behavior of electrical circuits.

4. Can nonlinear 1st order differential equations be solved exactly?

In general, nonlinear 1st order differential equations cannot be solved exactly. However, there are certain special cases where they can be solved analytically, such as separable equations or exact equations. In most cases, numerical methods such as Euler's method or Runge-Kutta methods are used to approximate the solutions.

5. What are some common techniques for solving nonlinear 1st order differential equations?

Some common techniques for solving nonlinear 1st order differential equations include substitution, separation of variables, and integrating factors. These techniques can be used to transform the equation into a simpler form or to find an exact solution in special cases. Numerical methods can also be used to obtain approximate solutions.