Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nonlinear Dynamics and Mathematical Physics

1. Feb 8, 2007 #1
    I'm interested in focusing on nonlinear dynamics or mathematical physics for my PhD and was wondering if anyone could tell me what US universities have strong departments in these topics. I've heard that Cornell is good for dynamics and chaos but haven't heard much about other colleges.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2007 #2
    Some I know off the top of my head for dynamical systems:

Suny Stony Brook (Milnor was/is here)
    Rutgers
    Boston University (Devaney is here - he wrote the book on it)
    Caltech has an interdisciplinary group
    Princeton?
    MIT?

Check out wikipedia on dynamical systems

Mathematical physics... not sure what you consider that, (not sure myself what I consider that) But Rutgers, Alabama, Indiana?, Stony, BU, MIT. Caltech, Princeton, Columbia, and NYU are good places to start.

Hope that helps. I have similar interests to you. Maybe "Chaos" belongs more to the applied maths and physics people. Dynamical Systems maybe more to the topologists and other pure mathematicians. Depends on what you want to do with it.

4. Feb 9, 2007 #3

J77

5. Apr 19, 2007 #4
    I received my PhD in Aerospace from Southern Cal and was very challenging. Don't know about their physics side.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?