Nonparametric Hypothesis Tests

In summary, when comparing sample means from two different distributions that are known to be non-normal, a two-sample t-test would not be appropriate. Instead, some non-parametric alternatives could be considered, such as the Mann-Whitney U test or a Permutation Test/Randomization Test. The latter relies on minimal assumptions about the underlying datasets and could be a suitable option in this scenario. However, there may be conflicting reports on whether permutation tests assume equal variances, with some suggesting sensitivity to differences in variances while others do not mention this as an issue. Further research may be needed to determine the best approach for the specific data being analyzed.
Conservation
TL;DR Summary
Nonparametric alternatives to unpaired t-tests given that the sample distributions are different
Hello everyone,

Say you have two sample distributions that are known to be two different distributions (one randomly drawn from a Poisson distribution, other randomly drawn from an uniform distribution). Given that you know the distributions are not going to be normal, a two-sample t-test would not be appropriate here. What are some non-parametric alternatives for comparing sample means in a scenario like this? I was thinking Mann-Whitney U test, but the Mann-Whitney test assumes that the two distributions are the same and measures shift. In this case, we would know that the two distributions are different.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
@Ygggdrasil Thank you; permutation test seems to be what I'm looking for. I'm probably going to use Two-Sample Fisher-Pitman Permutation Test implemented in R; however, I'm finding conflicting reports on whether permutation test assumes equality of variance when used as a test of different means. Do you know whether I can assume non-homogeneous variances for permutation tests?

I don't think that permutation tests assume equal variances. What sources do you have that suggest otherwise?

This paper (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15077763, sorry behind a paywall) seems to suggest that Fisher-Spearman permutation test is sensitive to differences in variances; however, I've also read other literature suggesting that this is not the case for permutation tests.

What is a nonparametric hypothesis test?

A nonparametric hypothesis test is a statistical test that does not make any assumptions about the underlying distribution of the data. It is used when the data does not meet the requirements for a parametric test, such as normality or equal variances.

When should a nonparametric test be used?

A nonparametric test should be used when the data is not normally distributed or when the sample size is small. It can also be used when the data is ordinal or when the assumptions for a parametric test are not met.

What is the difference between a parametric and nonparametric test?

The main difference between a parametric and nonparametric test is that a parametric test makes assumptions about the underlying distribution of the data, while a nonparametric test does not. Parametric tests are more powerful and have higher precision, but they require the data to meet certain assumptions.

What are some examples of nonparametric tests?

Some examples of nonparametric tests include the Wilcoxon signed-rank test, Mann-Whitney U test, Kruskal-Wallis test, and Spearman's rank correlation coefficient. These tests are used for different types of data and research questions, but they all do not make assumptions about the underlying distribution of the data.

How do you interpret the results of a nonparametric test?

The results of a nonparametric test are typically reported as a p-value, which represents the probability of obtaining the observed data if the null hypothesis is true. A p-value less than the chosen significance level indicates that there is enough evidence to reject the null hypothesis and support the alternative hypothesis. The smaller the p-value, the stronger the evidence against the null hypothesis.