1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nonuniform circular motion problem

1. Oct 25, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

0.5kg ball swings in a vertical circle at the end of a 1.5m long string. When the ball is at the bottom of the circle the tension in the string is 15 N. What is the speed of the ball at that point?

2. Relevant equations
    ac=T/m
    ac=v^2/r

3. The attempt at a solution

Using the equations above, I solved for centripetal acceleration by taking the Tension (which =15N) and dividing it by the mass (0.5kg). This gave me 30 m/s^2. I next took the other equation stated above, plugged in all the numbers and solved for v, which = 6.71m/s. The answer in the back of the book was around 5.5m/s, I think. Anyway, I got the problem wrong and I can't see what I did wrong.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm doing this in preparation for a test and really need to understand these problems. :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2012 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

you're forgetting gravity.

4. Oct 25, 2012 #3
    Gravity would affect tension, right? If they say the tension is 15N at the bottom, aren't they including gravity?

5. Oct 28, 2012 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes, they are but you aren't. Draw the free body diagram. What are the forces and what is the resultant (to drive the required acceleration)?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook