1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Normalization condition for free & spherically symmetric

1. Nov 22, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I think, to normalize a wavefunction, we integrate over the solid angle ##r^2 dr d\theta d\phi##. Typically we have ## R(r)Y(\theta, \phi) ## as solutions. If ##Y## is properly normalized, then the normalization condition for ##R(r)## ought to be

$$ \int_0^\infty dr r^2 |R(r)|^2 = 1$$

2. Relevant equations

Now I am trying to develop a general normalization condition for the spherical Bessel functions, which are solutions to the free particle in free space, but solved using spherical symmetry. For example the 0th solution is

$$ R(r) = \sin (kr)/r $$

where ## k = \sqrt{2mE/\hbar} ##.

Now if I were to normalize with integration over ## r^2 dr ##, the normalization integral will not converge. Google searching has been unhelpful so far, but I've tended to see just integration over ## dr ##. So I'm conceptually unsure why this would be the case.

3. The attempt at a solution

The end goal is to have a general normalization factor for the spherical Bessel functions. If I normalize

$$ \int_0^\infty dr | A R_0(r)|^2 = 1 $$

In this case, ## A = \sqrt{2/\pi k} ##.

In fact I found by just doing the normalization for the first few functions, sqrt(2l+1) works as the additional normalization factor.
    But the current sticking point is the integration over dr or r^2 dr.

Thanks.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 22, 2015 #2

king vitamin

Gold Member

Free particle states aren't normalizable. You can see this pretty quickly in cartesian coordinates (showing one dimension for simplicity):
    [tex]
    \psi_k(x) = Ne^{i k x}
    [/tex]
    where [itex]k[/itex] is a quantum number related to energy [itex]E = \hbar^2 k^2/2m[/itex]. Since [itex]|\psi(x)|^2 = 1[/itex], clearly you can't normalize this state.

Instead, it's conventional to normalize the states as
    [tex]
    \int dx \psi_{k'}^*(x) \psi_{k}(x) = \delta(k - k')
    [/tex]
    with the dirac delta function. Then you can show that [itex]N = 1/\sqrt{2 \pi}[/itex]. This normalization is useful because you can then write down general normalizable states as
    [tex]
    \Psi(x) = \int dk A(k) \psi_k(x)
    [/tex]
    and now the normalization condition on [itex]\Psi[/itex] becomes
    [tex]
    \int dx |\Psi(x)|^2 = \int dk A(k) = 1.
    [/tex]
    So [itex]A(k)[/itex] is a normalized distribution over which [itex]k[/itex]'s contribute to the wave function. So a good choice for normalizing for your spherical problem would be to generalize the delta function normalization above.

4. Nov 23, 2015 #3
    I guess i have
    $$
    |A|^2 \int_0^\infty dr r^2 \psi^*_{0,k'}(r)\psi_{0,k}(r) = \delta(k-k')
    $$
    and ## \psi_0(r) = \sin(kr)/r = \frac{i}{r}( \exp(ikr) - \exp(-ikr))##, and the r^2 will cancel, and then one does the integral...

Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
  5. Nov 23, 2015 #4

king vitamin

Gold Member

Looks good. You'll need to use the integral I used above,
    [tex]
    \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} dx e^{ikx} = 2 \pi \delta(k),
    [/tex]
    and be careful with all of the algebra. A few points: you should actually have [itex]j_{0}(kr) = \sin(kr)/(kr)[/itex], and you're missing some factors for the exponential form for [itex]\sin[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted