Normalization constant of lineer combination of two waves?

In summary, the conversation includes a homework statement with a given wave function, a request for help with calculating the linear combination of two waves and finding the normalization constant, and a discussion about using trigonometric identities and integrating by parts to solve the equation. The boundaries of the integral are suggested to be 0 to L and the role of the n values is clarified. The conversation concludes with a thank you and a promise to return for future questions.
sylar88

Homework Statement

[tex]\psi[/tex]=B( sin px/L + sin 2px/L )

Homework Equations

lineer combination of two waves n=1 and n=2 states particle in a box wide L

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea how to calculate lineer combination of two waves normalization. How do I get B normalization constant??

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi sylar88! welcome to pf! :smile:

(have a psi: ψ :wink:)

learn your trigonometric identities …

sinA + sin B = … ? :wink:

but when ı take the form of 2 [sin (3px/2L). cos (px/2L)] how do ı calculate its integral. Can ı use mathematical methods then integrate it and it will equal to 1. So ı find t normalization constant B ? Take boundries of integral 0 to L ?

pls help me ı need answer just say me my prediction is true :/

hi sylar88! :smile:
sylar88 said:
but when ı take the form of 2 [sin (3px/2L). cos (px/2L)] how do ı calculate its integral.

try integrating by parts twice, then a bit of algebra :wink:

tiny-tim said:
hi sylar88! :smile:

try integrating by parts twice, then a bit of algebra :wink:

What about boundries?? 0 to L can ı take ? what about n=1 n =2 Where do ı use them

yup … 0 to L (or x) :wink:

(what's n ? :confused:)

tiny-tim said:
yup … 0 to L (or x) :wink:

(what's n ? :confused:)

Question says that solve the equiaton combination of wave functions for the n= 1 and n=2 states in a particle of box wide L.

oh, right!

but you've already used them, in your original equation …

you're now solving it​

tiny-tim said:
oh, right!

but you've already used them, in your original equation …

you're now solving it​

Its logical :)) thank you for your interest and help. I will come for new questions :)))

1. What is the normalization constant of a linear combination of two waves?

The normalization constant of a linear combination of two waves is a mathematical constant that is used to ensure that the combined wave has a total energy of 1. This constant is calculated by taking the square root of the sum of the squares of the coefficients of the two waves.

2. Why is the normalization constant important?

The normalization constant is important because it allows us to calculate the probability of finding the combined wave at a specific point in space. Without this constant, the probability of finding the combined wave would not be well-defined and could potentially have infinite values.

3. How is the normalization constant affected by the coefficients of the two waves?

The normalization constant is directly affected by the coefficients of the two waves. The larger the coefficients, the smaller the normalization constant will be, and vice versa. This is because the normalization constant is inversely proportional to the total energy of the combined wave.

4. Can the normalization constant be negative?

No, the normalization constant cannot be negative. This is because it represents the total energy of the combined wave, and energy cannot be negative. If the calculated normalization constant is negative, it is usually an indication of an error in the calculation.

5. How is the normalization constant related to the wavefunction of a system?

The normalization constant is directly related to the wavefunction of a system. The wavefunction is the complex-valued function that describes the state of a quantum mechanical system. The normalization constant ensures that the wavefunction is properly normalized, meaning that the total probability of finding the system in any state is equal to 1.