Normalization of a wave function question

In summary, the conversation is about normalizing a wave function and finding the probability of a particle being between x=0 and pi/8. The equation for normalization is given and the question arises about whether to integrate between 0 and pi/8 or -infinity to infinity. The suggestion is to only integrate over non-zero regions. It is also mentioned that cos(x) can be used to simplify the integration process. The conversation ends with a thank you for the helpful hint.
shahramj
A wave function (psi) equals A(exp(ix)+exp(-ix) in the region -pi<x<pi and zero elsewhere.
Normalize the wave function and find the probability of the particle being between x=0 and pi/8

Equation is : the integral of psi*(x,t)psi(x,t)=1 for normalization

Physics news on Phys.org
so should I integrate the (psi*)(psi) between 0 and pi/8 or first -infinity to infinity and then plug the 0 and pi/8, and how can I integrate this?
so the integral becomes: integrate(A(e^ix)+(e^-ix)) ??

Integration need only be taken over regions where a function is non-zero.

Also- cos(x)=(e^ix+e^-ix)/2

shahramj said:
so should I integrate the (psi*)(psi) between 0 and pi/8 or first -infinity to infinity and then plug the 0 and pi/8, and how can I integrate this?
so the integral becomes: integrate(A(e^ix)+(e^-ix)) ??

And that's not psi*psi in your 'integrate', it's just psi. psi*psi will be real.

ok, but I didn't understand the cos(x), could you please be more specific about that, I'm new in modern physics, thanx

shahramj said:
ok, but I didn't understand the cos(x), could you please be more specific about that, I'm new in modern physics, thanx

It's just an identity that might - or might not - come in handy. exp(ix)=cos(x)+isin(x). So exp(ix)+exp(-ix)=2*cos(x). Nothing to do with modern physics exactly.

You can replace [itex] e^{ix}+e^{-ix} = 2 cos(x)[/itex]

Just makes the integration easier.

Thanx, very useful hint

1. What is a wave function?

A wave function is a mathematical representation of a quantum system that describes the probability of finding a particle in a specific state or location. It is used to study the behavior of particles at the quantum level.

2. What does it mean to normalize a wave function?

Normalizing a wave function means to scale it so that the total probability of finding the particle somewhere in space is equal to 1. This ensures that the wave function accurately describes the probability of finding the particle in any possible state.

3. Why is normalization important in quantum mechanics?

Normalization is important because it allows us to calculate the probability of finding a particle in any given state. It also ensures that the total probability of finding the particle in all possible locations is equal to 1, which is necessary for the wave function to accurately describe the behavior of the particle.

4. How is normalization of a wave function performed?

To normalize a wave function, we divide the original wave function by its normalization constant, which is found by taking the square root of the integral of the wave function squared over all space. This process results in a normalized wave function with a total probability of 1.

5. What are the consequences if a wave function is not normalized?

If a wave function is not normalized, it will not accurately represent the probability of finding a particle in a given state. This can lead to incorrect predictions and interpretations in quantum mechanics. Additionally, the wave function must be normalized in order to satisfy the fundamental postulates of quantum mechanics.