1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Normalization of Linear Superposition of ψ States

1. Sep 19, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An electron in an infinitely deep potential well of thickness 4 angstroms is placed in a linear superposition of the first and third states. What is the frequency of oscillation of the electron probability density?

2. Relevant equations
    E=hω

3. The attempt at a solution
    My main problem right now is with the normalization of the wave function:

I have ψTotal=Aψ1+ Bψ3
    ∫|ψT|^2=1=∫(|A|^2*sin^2(pi*z/Lz) +|B|^2*sin^2(3pi*z/Lz))dz (the other terms with A*B and B*A become zero after integration)
    =(Lz(|A|^2+|B|^2))/2=1

So
    |A|^2+|B|^2=2/Lz

What I'd like to do next is calculate the probability density of the electrons, but I end up with |A|^2, |B|^2, A*B, & B*A terms and don't know how to get actual numbers for all these constants, or otherwise to properly normalize this. I know what to do if the superposition of states was equally split, but it does not say that here.

Any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong? Thanks

Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2013 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You don't need to worry about the values of A and B to answer the question. The frequency of oscillation of the probability distribution does not depend on A or B. So, you can leave A and B unspecified. Since you are interested in the time dependence of the probability distribution, you will need to include the time dependence of each of the two stationary states when you calculate ##|\Psi_{total}(t)|^2##.

4. Sep 19, 2013 #3
    So would the only thing that really matters be the exp(+/-(E3-E1)it/h), where ω=(E3-E1)/h? It just seems strange to me that whether one eigenstate dominates or not does not affect the frequency of electron probability density.

Also, I have difficulty in general with normalization. If I needed to normalize this sort of function, would that be possible with the information given, or would I need something else?

Thank you & I appreciate your help.

5. Sep 19, 2013 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, ω=(E3-E1)/[itex]\hbar[/itex].

When you write out ##|\Psi_{total}(t)|^2##, you should be able to see the effect of changing the relative sizes of A and B. In particular, you should think about the case where A = B and the case where A >> B or A << B.

From the information given in the problem, you cannot determine the magnitudes of A and B. As you showed, all you can determine is the value of |A|2 + |B|2.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted