1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Normalization to delta distribution

1. Oct 13, 2012 #1

Jano L.

Gold Member

Do you know some example of an operator, other than momentum or position, that has (at least partially) continuous spectrum with eigenvalues [itex]s[/itex], and the corresponding eigenfunctions obey

[tex]
    (\Phi_s,\Phi_s') = \int \Phi_s^*(q) \, \Phi_{s'} (q)~ dq = \delta(s-s')~?
    [/tex]

EDIT
    For example, Hamiltonian of a free particle does not work with this, because the integral

[tex]
    \int \Phi_\epsilon^*(q) \, \Phi_{\epsilon'} (q)~ dq
    [/tex]

with [itex]\Phi_\epsilon(q) = e^{i \sqrt{2m\epsilon} \,q/\hbar}[/itex] does not equal to [itex]\delta(\epsilon - \epsilon')[/itex].

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2012 #2

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Why not. Let's set
    [tex]\Phi_{\epsilon}(q)=N(\epsilon) \exp(\mathrm{i} \sqrt{2m \epsilon} q).[/tex]
    This is indeed the generalized eigenfunction of the free Hamiltonian
    [tex]\hat{H}=-\frac{1}{2m} \frac{\mathrm{d}^2}{\mathrm{d} q^2}[/tex]
    in position-space representation.

Now we have
    [tex]\langle \epsilon'|\epsilon \rangle = \int_{\mathbb{R}} \mathrm{d} q \Phi_{\epsilon'}^*(q) \Phi_{\epsilon}(q) = 2 \pi |N(\epsilon)|^2 \delta \left [\sqrt{2m}(\sqrt{\epsilon}-\sqrt{\epsilon'} \right]=\sqrt{8m \epsilon} \pi |N(\epsilon)|^2 \delta(\epsilon-\epsilon').[/tex]
    Thus setting
    [tex]N(\epsilon)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{\sqrt{8m \epsilon} \pi}}[/tex]
    normalizes your functions to a [itex]\delta[/itex] distribution.

Of course, this is not a complete set, because also
    [tex]\Psi_{\epsilon}(q)=N(\epsilon) \exp(-\mathrm{i} \sqrt{2m \epsilon} q)[/tex]
    are eigenfunctions of the Hamiltonian with the same eigenvalue [itex]\epsilon[/itex].

Each energy eigenvalue is thus twofold degenerate. You can classify the energy eigenstates further by parity. That also explains the degeneracy: the parity operation commutes with the Hamiltonian and thus can be simultaneously diagonalized. The energy-parity eigenstates are given by
    [tex]u_{\epsilon,P}(q)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} [\Phi_{\epsilon}(q) + P \Psi_{\epsilon}(q)] \quad \text{with} \quad P \in \{-1,+1\}.[/tex]

The energy is degenerate, and the generalized basis built by[itex]\Phi_{\epsilon}[/itex] and [itex]\Psi_{\epsilon}[/itex] or [itex]u_{\epsilon,P}[/itex] is pretty inconvenient to work with. Much more convenient is the basis of momentum eigenfunctions,
    [tex]v_{p}(q)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi}} \exp(-\mathrm{i} p q), \quad p \in \mathbb{R}[/tex]
    and has all nice properties of the above constructed energy-parity eigenbasis, because of course the [itex]v_{p}[/itex] are also generalized energy eigenstates.

4. Oct 13, 2012 #3

Jano L.

Gold Member

Thank you very much! It is much more clear now. I didn't realize one can normalize [itex]\Phi_\epsilon[/itex]'s by dividing by [itex]\sqrt{\epsilon}[/itex].

5. Oct 13, 2012 #4

Jano L.

Gold Member

Oh this somehow got to the classical physics forum, I apologize for that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook