Normalized basis when taking inner product

In summary, the question is whether it is necessary to normalize both basis when taking the inner product of a vector represented in two different basis. The motivation for this question is the difference in the inner product result between a normalized and non-normalized basis. A link is provided for further context and it is concluded that using unit vectors does not affect numerical quantities, but is only used for direction.
kent davidge
Consider that a vector can be represented in two different basis. My question is do we need to normalize both basis before taking the inner product?

What motivates this question is because I found out that the inner product of a vector having components ##a,b## in the normalized polar basis of ##\mathbb{R}^2## will be ##a^2 + b^2## whereas it will be ##r^2(a^2 + b^2)## if the basis is not normalized.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
kent davidge said:
Consider that a vector can be represented in two different basis. My question is do we need to normalize both basis before taking the inner product?
No. The vectors in a basis don't have to be normalized (i.e., of unit length).

Likes kent davidge
Mark44 said:
No. The vectors in a basis don't have to be normalized (i.e., of unit length).
Hi Mark. Please consider re reading my post after I added context to my question.

kent davidge said:
What motivates this question is because I found out that the inner product of a vector having components ##a,b## in the normalized polar basis of ##\mathbb{R}^2## will be ##a^2 + b^2## whereas it will be ##r^2(a^2 + b^2)## if the basis is not normalized.
Here's a link to a page I found that might be helpful -- http://www.math.tamu.edu/~fulling/coalweb/polar.htm

BTW, saying "inner product of a vector" with no mention of another vector is meaningless. In this case, I think you meant the inner product of a vector with itself.

Last edited:
Mark44 said:
BTW, saying "inner product of a vector" with no mention of another vector is meaningless. In this case, I think you meant the inner product of a vector with itself
That's what I meant
Mark44 said:
Here's a link to a page I found that might be helpful -- http://www.math.tamu.edu/~fulling/coalweb/polar.htm
They don't specify the reasons for using unit polar vectors, but the conclusion I draw from their example is that by using the unit vectors we are not affecting our numerical quantities, we merely use the vectors in order to get a direction, in this case.

1. What is a normalized basis?

A normalized basis is a set of vectors that have been scaled to have a length of 1. This is done to simplify calculations and make it easier to work with vectors.

2. Why is normalization important when taking inner product?

Normalization is important when taking inner product because it ensures that the result is independent of the length of the vectors. This allows for a more accurate comparison between vectors.

3. How is normalization achieved when taking inner product?

Normalization is achieved by dividing each vector by its length. This results in unit vectors that have a length of 1. The inner product is then calculated using these unit vectors.

4. Can a non-normalized basis be used when taking inner product?

Yes, a non-normalized basis can be used when taking inner product, but the result will depend on the lengths of the vectors. This can make it difficult to compare and analyze the vectors accurately.

5. Are there any disadvantages to using normalized basis when taking inner product?

One disadvantage of using normalized basis when taking inner product is that it requires additional calculations to normalize the vectors. This can add complexity to the process, especially when dealing with a large number of vectors.