Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Normed space and its double dual

1. Jun 23, 2008 #1
    Hi, I am trying to sort out a few things about the dual and double dual of a normed space which has got me a little confused.

Given a normed space [tex]X[/tex] over [tex]\mathbb{R}[/tex], if [tex]Y[/tex] is a subspace of [tex]X[/tex], what is the relationship between [tex]Y^*[/tex] and [tex]X^*[/tex]? Can [tex]Y^*[/tex] be identified with some subspace of [tex]X^*[/tex]?

Also, we have the natural embedding of [tex]X[/tex] into [tex]X^{**}[/tex] given by the map [tex]x\mapsto\hat{x}[/tex] where [tex]\hat{x}:X^*\to\mathbb{R}[/tex] is evaluation at [tex]x[/tex]. How do we use this to define the natural embedding of [tex]Y[/tex] into [tex]Y^{**}[/tex]? Here is my idea: We want to send [tex]y[/tex] to [tex]\hat{y}_Y:Y^*\to\mathbb{R}[/tex]. So, we define [tex]\hat{y}_Y[/tex] as follows. For [tex]y^*\in Y^*[/tex], choose an arbitrary extension [tex]x^*\in X^*[/tex] (we can use Hahn-Banach here). Then, we say [tex]\hat{y}_Y(y^*):=\hat{y}(x^*)[/tex]. Does this depend on the choice of extension [tex]x^*[/tex]?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 23, 2008 #2

Elements of X* are linear maps X->R, so can also be considered as elements of Y* by restriction to Y.
    This gives a canonical map X*->Y*.

The kernel of the map, say K, consists of those elements of X* which map all of Y to 0. Also, the Hahn-Banach theorem says that any element of Y* can be extended to a continuous linear map X->R. So, X*->Y* is onto.

These facts are enough to conclude that Y* is isomorphic to X*/K. i.e. a quotient, not a subspace, of X*.

If X is a Hilbert space, then X* will also be a Hilbert space (isomorphic to X), in which case X* can be decomposed as the sum of K and its orthogonal complement K', which will be isomorphic to Y*. Don't think that X* can be decomposed like this in general though.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?