Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Not exactly sure if this is the right subsectionI need to make

1. Jun 6, 2010 #1
    not exactly sure if this is the right subsection

I need to make something that generates AC power (an alternator) for a science project. The reason for this is that I need to control the voltage and the frequency. Is there anything in particular that I need to know?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 6, 2010 #2

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2017
  4. Jun 6, 2010 #3
    Re: Zap

Can I call you y?

5. Jun 7, 2010 #4

Would it be feasible for me to build one that's capable of creating arcs?

6. Jun 7, 2010 #5

You need a high voltage transformer for that. You can't, generally speaking, make an alternator that puts out that high of a voltage.

Are you making a "Jacob's Ladder"?

7. Jun 7, 2010 #6

:rofl:

good one!

8. Jun 7, 2010 #7

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The frequency would be controlled by the speed (rpm) of the generator and the voltage from the generator can be controlled by the winding ratio of a transformer connected to it.

If you want to create an arc that demonstrate you are generating power, then you could a neon sign transformer (7000 to 9000 volt secondary with a 110 volt primary) connected to a "Jacob's Ladder" as zoobyshoe mentioned. But I would suggest using a voltmeter connected directly to your generator. If your project is for a science project, you need to be safe and the voltmeter shows you know a little about instrumentation.

How are you planning to turning your generator? Maybe a hand crank?

9. Jun 7, 2010 #8

unless you can make do with something like an electrostatic flame starter that you purchase off the shelf, high voltage is probably not appropriate for a science project. they wouldn't even let us use HV in electrical engineering senior design projects. it's something best left to those who specialize in it.

10. Jun 7, 2010 #9

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks Photon Soup. That's the best advice.

11. Jun 8, 2010 #10

Thanks for all the replies.

I was reading some of Tesla's writings and wondered if I could do something similar.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook