Not really interested in science subjects

• Thread starter hiuting
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Science
In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's lack of interest in calculus, chemistry, and physics and how it may impact their career choices in the science field. It also raises the question of whether enjoying school subjects is related to enjoying careers in those fields. The conversation ends with the suggestion that the speaker should consider pursuing a career outside of science if they are not interested in those subjects.
hiuting
I'm not really interested in calculus, chem, or physics. I mean, I'm doing good in the subjects...
but I don't really like any of them. How can I choose a career in the science field if I don't like any of them? I'm soo bored and pressured right now with theses subjects... and even a little bit discouraged... any advice?

Physics news on Phys.org
Those topics are the foundation for your future in science. Man it up, and get through them, you may be able to get past the boring basics and find a scientific field which interests you. If you are not interested enough to learn the basics then you may want to change to a non science major.

hiuting said:
I'm not really interested in calculus, chem, or physics.

First-year subjects?
hiuting said:
How can I choose a career in the science field if I don't like any of them? I'm soo bored and pressured right now with theses subjects... and even a little bit discouraged... any advice?

In what are you interested?

Do any of the second-year and higher science courses seem interesting to you?

hiuting said:
I'm not really interested in calculus, chem, or physics. I mean, I'm doing good in the subjects...
but I don't really like any of them. How can I choose a career in the science field if I don't like any of them? I'm soo bored and pressured right now with theses subjects... and even a little bit discouraged... any advice?

You only listed Calculus and physical sciences. You did not say how much of these (or other) physical sciences you have studied or tried. Might you believe to become more interested in them with slightly more advanced courses? Might you become maybe interested in other physical science (maybe Geology); or maybe Engineering? Might you actually be more interested in either health or biological sciences?

hiuting said:

Why would you consider a career in science if you don't like science courses?

hiuting said:

Ah. You're still under the impression that enjoying or being interested in school classes has any relation at all to enjoying or being interested in the careers they lead to.

This is a common misconception.

Locrian said:
Ah. You're still under the impression that enjoying or being interested in school classes has any relation at all to enjoying or being interested in the careers they lead to.

Unless you're talking about having bad teachers, that's not true.

I didn't say anything about bad teachers; I was intentionally broad in my statement.

Locrian said:

This is very true! Take this example, you might enjoy a Chemistry or other physical science degree but dread the job prospects that are open after completing the degree(probably because they will be very repetitive).You will be setting up the same basic experiments in the Lab day in day out for years! or if you decide to go into industry, you will be given tens of samples everyday to test and write reports on, you have no room for any creativity what so ever.

Im with Andy Resnick on this one. Why go into something that you are not interested in? Though science and engineering are important, it is not everything and it is not for everyone.
Find something you like and go with it:
Law, Business, Economics etc
You said that you were good at math. You can use that skill in more than just science and engineering. Use the skill that you are good at to do something that you like to do.

What are some common reasons people are not interested in science subjects?

Some people may feel intimidated by science subjects because they perceive them as difficult or complex. Others may not see the immediate relevance or practical application of science in their daily lives. Additionally, some people may have had negative experiences with science teachers or classes in the past.

How can I develop an interest in science subjects?

One way to develop an interest in science is to find a topic or aspect that you are passionate about. This could be anything from space exploration to environmental conservation. You can also try to make connections between science and your daily life, or participate in hands-on experiments and activities to make learning more engaging.

What are the benefits of studying science?

Studying science can lead to a better understanding of the world around us and how it works. It can also improve critical thinking and problem-solving skills, as well as provide opportunities for exciting and meaningful careers in fields such as medicine, technology, and research.

I don't think I'm good at science. Can I still be successful in a science-related career?

Absolutely! While natural aptitude can certainly be helpful in studying science, it is not the only indicator of success. With dedication, hard work, and support from teachers and mentors, anyone can develop the skills and knowledge necessary for a successful career in science.

What resources are available for improving my understanding of science subjects?

There are many resources available for learning and improving understanding of science subjects. These can include textbooks, online courses, educational videos, and even science museums and centers. Additionally, seeking help from teachers, tutors, or study groups can also be beneficial. Don't be afraid to ask questions and seek out resources to help you succeed in your studies.