Not really understanding Gravitational Potential energy or Kepler's laws?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
mayodt
Messages
14
Reaction score
0
Hey, I have a test tommorow and I don't really understand gravitational potential energy or kepler's laws. It's not really a theory test, it's the math aspect, but I still don't understand it. I know of the formulas such as Fg=Gm1m2/r^2, Eg=Gm1m2/r, Ek=1/2 mv^2, and I think that's all. But somehow in the answer book for this question they come up with the equation C=GM/4(pie)^2 and C=r^3/T^2?

This is the question if it helps: Using the mass of the sun and the period of revolution of Venus around the Sun, determine the average Sun-Venus distance.

Also, I'm not really understanding a couple other questions as well, if anyone had something I could read that would help me out for this, it'd be amazing, thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
mayodt said:
Hey, I have a test tommorow and I don't really understand gravitational potential energy or kepler's laws. It's not really a theory test, it's the math aspect, but I still don't understand it. I know of the formulas such as Fg=Gm1m2/r^2, Eg=Gm1m2/r, Ek=1/2 mv^2, and I think that's all. But somehow in the answer book for this question they come up with the equation C=GM/4(pie)^2 and C=r^3/T^2?

This is the question if it helps: Using the mass of the sun and the period of revolution of Venus around the Sun, determine the average Sun-Venus distance.

Also, I'm not really understanding a couple other questions as well, if anyone had something I could read that would help me out for this, it'd be amazing, thanks.

I'm not much help on Kepler's Laws, but the wikipedia entry looks to have some good info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kepler's_laws

.
 
F = Gmm/r^2 for gravitational potential energy
F= mv/r = mr[itex]\omega^{2}[/itex]for centripetal force.
[itex]\omega[/itex] = 2[itex]\pi[/itex]/T

Reshuffle them.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
only third law of kepler has mathematical questions at basic level
[itex]T^2 \propto R^3[/itex]
tell me if you need its derivation

for Gravitational potential ...

the GPE of 2 masses m1,m2 separated by r is [itex]U = - \frac{Gm_1m_2}{r}[/itex]

for more help please write back ...