1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Not really understanding Gravitational Potential energy or Kepler's laws?

1. Jul 14, 2011 #1
    Hey, I have a test tommorow and I don't really understand gravitational potential energy or kepler's laws. It's not really a theory test, it's the math aspect, but I still don't understand it. I know of the formulas such as Fg=Gm1m2/r^2, Eg=Gm1m2/r, Ek=1/2 mv^2, and I think that's all. But somehow in the answer book for this question they come up with the equation C=GM/4(pie)^2 and C=r^3/T^2?

This is the question if it helps: Using the mass of the sun and the period of revolution of Venus around the Sun, determine the average Sun-Venus distance.

Also, I'm not really understanding a couple other questions as well, if anyone had something I could read that would help me out for this, it'd be amazing, thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 14, 2011 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

I'm not much help on Kepler's Laws, but the wikipedia entry looks to have some good info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kepler's_laws

4. Jul 14, 2011 #3
    F = Gmm/r^2 for gravitational potential energy
    F= mv/r = mr[itex]\omega^{2}[/itex]for centripetal force.
    [itex]\omega[/itex] = 2[itex]\pi[/itex]/T

Reshuffle them.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2011
  5. Jul 15, 2011 #4
    only third law of kepler has mathematical questions at basic level
    [itex]T^2 \propto R^3[/itex]
    tell me if you need its derivation

for Gravitational potential ...

the GPE of 2 masses m1,m2 separated by r is [itex]U = - \frac{Gm_1m_2}{r}[/itex]

for more help please write back ...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook