Notation for special summations

• Thread starter epkid08
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Notation
In summary, the conversation discusses notation for a function with multiple sums in its definition, and how to represent it with special notation. The shorthand notation for a finite number of indexes is shown, as well as a way to "index the indexes" for a variable number of indexes. Finally, a potential general notation for a function with multiple sums is suggested.
epkid08
Is there special notation for a function like this:
[tex]g(x_1)=\sum^k_jf(x)[/tex]

[tex]g(x_2)=\sum^p_k\sum^k_jf(x)[/tex]

[tex]g(x_3)=\sum^s_p\sum^p_k\sum^k_jf(x)[/tex]

If so, what would g(x_n) be?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I forgot to add, a function like this:

[tex]f(x_n)=\sum^{\sum^{\sum^{\sum^{\sum}}}}...[/tex]

(the limit of each sum is another sum; fallowing the pattern in the above post of course)

For a small, finite number of indexes, sometimes I see the shorthand

[tex]\sum_{i,j,k} f(x)[/tex]

This usually occurs when all of the indexes run from 0 to the same limit N.

If you have a variable number of indexes, then you can "index the indexes" as follows:

[tex]S_n = \sum_{i_1 \dots i_n} f(x)[/tex]

Oh, wait, I see you want each index to run up to the previous index. For a small number of indexes, you can do

[tex]S_3 = \sum^N_{i > j > k} a_{ijk}(x)[/tex]

And in general, you could probably write

[tex]S_n = \sum^N_{i_1 > \dots > i_n} a_{i_1 \dots i_n}(x)[/tex]

1. What is notation for special summations?

The notation for special summations is a mathematical notation used to represent specific types of summations, such as infinite series, finite series, and other types of special summations.

2. Why is notation for special summations important?

Notation for special summations is important because it allows for a concise and standardized way to represent complex summations, making them easier to understand and work with in mathematical equations and proofs.

3. How is notation for special summations different from regular summation notation?

Notation for special summations is different from regular summation notation in that it usually includes additional symbols or subscripts to indicate the type of summation being represented, such as using sigma for infinite series or a capital letter for finite series.

4. Are there different types of notation for special summations?

Yes, there are different types of notation for special summations depending on the type of summation being represented. For example, sigma notation is commonly used for infinite series, while capital letter notation is often used for finite series.

5. How can I learn more about notation for special summations?

You can learn more about notation for special summations by studying advanced mathematics courses, reading textbooks on calculus or discrete mathematics, or researching online resources and guides on the subject.