Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Notation of ideals in ring theory

1. Mar 4, 2007 #1
    So right now i'm trying to solve this problem in ring theory for homework. The question pertains to proving that in a PID, D, if a,b are elements of D then the gcd of a and b can be written as a linear combination. In any event I know where I have to go but I'm stuck on this one bit of notation.

<a,b> = <d>.

I've never seen notation for an ideal like that with 2 elements separated by a comma. I'd appreciate any insight into this.

Oh and here's the site from wolfram where I originally discovered it:
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2007 #2
    <a,b> is any linear combination of a and b.

That is, <a,b>={as+bt|s,t are in R}
  4. Mar 4, 2007 #3
    Thanks man. You rock my socks!
  5. Mar 4, 2007 #4
    Okay well, it turned out that the idea from wolfram was more confusing than helpful. There's a scarce amount of information in my text and notes on PID's. The only conjectures that I feel safe in making: if given gcd(a,b)=d then gcd(a,d)=d and gcd(b,d)=d. Not sure how helpful those are though. I think what I'm most confused about is Wolfram's assertion that <a,b> is an ideal for any a,b. I can't verify this anywhere.
  6. Mar 4, 2007 #5
    Nevermind, I figured it out. Thanks for the insight Ziox!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?