1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Notation regarding the dipole approximation

1. Apr 6, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi

Whenever I read about the dipole approximation in QM, then the Hamiltonian is given as
    [tex]
    \hat {V}_{\text{dipole}} = -\mathbf{d}\cdot \mathbf{E}
    [/tex]
    where E is the electric field and d the dipole operator. What I am wondering about is that d is an operator. Is it wrong to include the hat in the interaction? As in
    [tex]
    \hat {V}_{\text{dipole}} = -\hat{\mathbf{d}}\cdot \mathbf{E}
    [/tex]

This is probably a silly question, but it is something that has been on my mind for some time.

Best,
    Niles.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2012 #2

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It's normal to be pedantic about putting hats on operators when students are just starting to learn about them. Later on in the course they can distinguish operators from context, so they might get left off by laziness. In the case of the dipole operator above, it's also likely that putting the hat might cause some readers to believe that it refers to a unit vector, so it's reasonable to leave it off.

4. Apr 20, 2012 #3
    I see, thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook