Quantum mechanics transitions in an electromagnetic field

In summary, the problem is to show that the first-order perturbation term for quantum mechanics with an electromagnetic field is proportional to the electric dipole moment. The transition rate is calculated using the Fermi's golden rule and we must show that it is proportional to the dipole moment. The interpretation of the ##A^2## term is that it represents a self-interaction of the particle with itself through the field.
chingel

Homework Statement

This is problem (7.1) from John A. Peacock "Cosmological Physics".

Show that the first-order perturbation term for quantum mechanics with an electromagnetic field, ##(e/m) \mathbf{A \cdot p}## is proportional to the electric dipole moment. What is the interpretation of the ##A^2## term?

Homework Equations

We have the hamiltonian
$$H = \frac{1}{2m} (\mathbf{p}-e\mathbf{A})^2 + e\phi + V.$$

In the book they adopt the Coulomb gauge, where ##\nabla \cdot \mathbf{A}=0## and they say that to first order
the perturbation is ##H' = \mathbf{A \cdot p}##. This means that ##\phi=0## also I assume?

The text also says (where it refers to this problem), that the transition rate is calculated with the element (using the Fermi's golden rule I assume) ##\langle i | \mathbf{A \cdot p} | j\rangle##, and we must show that it is proportional to the dipole moment
$$\langle i | \mathbf{A \cdot p} | j\rangle \propto \langle i | \mathbf{A \cdot x} | j\rangle .$$

The Attempt at a Solution

If for simplicity I take ##V=0##, so that ##|i\rangle = \int d^3x\ e^{ip_j x}\,|x\rangle## and it is an eigenvector of the momentum operator, I get
$$\langle i | \mathbf{A \cdot p} | j\rangle = \mathbf{A \cdot p_j}\ \delta^3 (\mathbf{p_j}-\mathbf{p_i}).$$
It seems that because of the delta function there are no transitions, what am I missing?

Also in this case I don't think that ##\langle i | \mathbf{A \cdot x} | j\rangle ## will be proportional to the above result:
$$ \langle i | \mathbf{A \cdot x} | j\rangle = \int d^3x\ \int d^3y\ e^{i(p_jx-p_iy)} A \cdot x \;\delta^3(\mathbf{x}-\mathbf{y})$$
$$ \langle i | \mathbf{A \cdot x} | j\rangle = \int d^3x\ e^{i(p_j-p_i)x} A\cdot x.$$
I don't think this expression is equal to the delta function one above.

Physics news on Phys.org
For the interpretation of the ##A^2## term, I think it must represent a kind of "self-interaction" of the particle with itself through the field.

1. What is quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the behavior and interactions of particles on a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles.

2. What are transitions in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, transitions refer to the transformation of a particle from one energy state to another, often accompanied by the emission or absorption of a particle of light.

3. How does an electromagnetic field affect quantum mechanics transitions?

An electromagnetic field can influence quantum mechanics transitions by providing energy to particles, causing them to transition to higher energy states or by absorbing energy from particles, causing them to transition to lower energy states.

4. Can quantum mechanics transitions be observed in everyday life?

While we cannot directly observe quantum mechanics transitions in everyday life, they play a crucial role in many technologies such as lasers, transistors, and solar cells.

5. What are the practical applications of understanding quantum mechanics transitions in an electromagnetic field?

Understanding quantum mechanics transitions in an electromagnetic field is essential for the development of advanced technologies such as quantum computing, quantum cryptography, and precision measurement devices.