Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Now that all loopholes are closed

1. Feb 9, 2016 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2016 #2
    David Bohm produced a non-local hidden variable theory. It was shown to be consistent with Quantum Mechanics so is presumably a surviving interpretation.

Just googled it... here you go.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Broglie–Bohm_theory

the wiki article seems to give equal credit to De Broglie and Bohm, but I'm pretty sure De Broglie developed the pilot wave theory, and Bohm turned this into a non-local hidden variable model. At least I'm pretty sure that's what I read...

4. Feb 9, 2016 #3

bhobba

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There are plenty of those. The issue is local realistic interpretations:
    http://www.drchinese.com/Bells_Theorem.htm

Its not the death of such theories - the out is they are not the same as QM, but QM emerges from such theories. Thats how Bell is bypassed.

Thanks
    Bill

5. Feb 10, 2016 #4

Demystifier

Science Advisor

The theory had a non-local form already in the De Broglie theory, but it was Bohm who has shown that the theory has the same measurable predictions as standard QM. To show this, Bohm has developed a general theory of quantum measurements, which can be thought of as a forerunner of the modern theory of decoherence.

6. Feb 14, 2016 #5
    How does that work?

7. Feb 14, 2016 #6

bhobba

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

8. Feb 15, 2016 #7
    I am not sure the recent experiments are loophole-free: all of them explicitly assume fixed outcomes at some point. Strictly speaking, this assumption is incompatible with unitary evolution. Therefore, the experiments seem to rule out local realistic theories under an assumption that rules out standard quantum mechanics. In my book, that's rich...

9. Feb 15, 2016 #8

bhobba

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Of course - that's what an observation is. So?

I think Dechorence has somethin to say about that. But this thread is not yhe place to iwscuss it.

I have seen similar musings before. I recall Dr Chinese entered into a long discussion referencing some paper about it. I thought it was a waste of time personally - but each to their own.

Thanks
    Bill

10. Feb 15, 2016 #9
    Wow! I've been looking for something like that theory for twenty years! How did you find it?

11. Feb 15, 2016 #10

bhobba

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

12. Feb 17, 2016 #11
    How does State Diffusion explain the Bell violation?

(If this can't be answered on Physics Forums, could you please direct me to another site and answer it there?)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook