NPR radio is the most unbiased media

• News
  • Thread starter jobyts
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

I think NPR radio is the most unbiased media. What do you think? You don't need to reply if you think Fox is unbiased :)

Answers and Replies

russ_watters
Mentor

This is politics...moving.

Ygggdrasil
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2019 Award

The only unbiased news sources are the ones that agree with my viewpoint :rolleyes:

The only unbiased news sources are the ones that agree with my viewpoint :rolleyes:
Exactly!
"Don't confuse me with the facts... my mind is made up."

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor

I listen to NPR, particularly Morning Edition and All Things Considered, but also BBC News and Monitor Radio, which are broadcast on the regional public radio station. They present their material quietly as opposed to the yucksters, chatterboxes, and blah-blah-ristos on commercial radio.

The regional station has a lot of great interviews with authors, academics, politicians from both sides of the spectrum.

And I agree with Chi Meson's assessment, although I don't think PRI is that leftish. Alternative Radio certainly is though.

kyleb

The only unbiased news sources are the ones that agree with my viewpoint.
Rather, the least biased news sources are the ones who put the most effort into presenting relevant facts regardless of what viewpoints they might support.

Chi Meson
Science Advisor
Homework Helper

Astronuc said:
And I agree with Chi Meson's assessment,...
I deleted my post. I agree with Russ that this is politics, and I'm staying out of this arena. See you in GD.

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor

Assessing media bias is politics?

or do people make it political by claiming political-bias in the media - particularly when there isn't?

Compared to other media, NPR's news program Morning Edition and All Things Considered does a pretty good job of presenting both sides. I was listening to E. J. Dionne and David Brooks discussing current events, e.g., the revelation of the 'secret' Iranian nuclear program and the G20 summit in Pittsburgh.

kyleb

Compared to other media, NPR's news program Morning Edition and All Things Considered does a pretty good job of presenting both sides.
I wish they'd do a better job of dispelling the illusion that issues only have two sides.
...the revelation of the 'secret' Iranian nuclear program and the G20 summit in Pittsburgh.
If you mean "revelation" in a practical sense rather than an ethereal one, I hope you might share it in the thread we currently have dedicated to the subject.

mheslep
Gold Member

I used to listen despite the bias, liked some of the on air talent, but finally the smugness in the bias went off the charts, the commercial sponsor announcements expanded without bound and I went down the road.

I've found that the number of people that believe NPR has no government funding whatsoever is not zero. Just in case: about http://www.npr.org/about/privatesupport.html" [Broken] comes from government sources.

Last edited by a moderator:
mheslep
Gold Member

Some examples:

1. Acorn's recent YouTube flirtation with enabling child prostitution and illegal immigration is http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2009/09/acorn_versus_conservatives_bat.html" [Broken] here to concerns about being poor:
NPR said:
ACORN has drawn renewed conservative scrutiny following a right-of-center film maker's undercover sting stunt in which he and a beautiful female conservative dressed as a pimp and prostitute, respectively, walked into ACORN offices in Baltimore, Washington and New York and received advice from workers there on a number of ways to advance illegal schemes.
It's also important to keep in mind that ACORN's workers are coming from the same low-income neighborhoods the organization serves, with all that entails -- poor schools, high crime and the sorts of social problems that have been documented for decades.

So the flaws conservatives are pointing out about ACORN are not so much problems associated with that organization per se but more about the problems of being poor and minority in urban America....

2. Story count bias. From NPR's own http://www.npr.org/ombudsman/2009/09/too_much_kennedy_1.html?ft=1&f=17370252" on 53 Sen Kennedy stories in five days. The late Senator was a major US politician, but 53?
NPR said:
There was no doubt that Sen. Edward Kennedy of Massachusetts had died if anyone listened to NPR in the days after his death late on Aug. 25 from brain cancer. Between Aug. 26 and 30, NPR ran 53 stories.

3. Iraq on the spot 'pollster':
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=99639661
NPR reporter Garcia-Navarro, Bagdad bureau chief on Iraq, 18:30 in clip
NPR said:
...Any Iraqi that you speak to on the street will tell you, and I ask them this question, was the war worth it for you? Did this invasion, do you feel, give you a better life? And across the board, I didn't find one Iraqi who said to me, actually, I'm glad this happened. Most Iraqis have paid the price of, you know, if you want to call it their freedom, in blood, the blood of their relatives.
Sure, http://www.globalpolicy.org/images/pdfs/0308opinion.pdf" [Broken]. They all want Saddam, Uday, and Qusay back from the grave.

4. NPR's Nina Totenburg on Gen Boykin's controversial comments on Islam:
http://www.boston.com/news/globe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2003/12/28/hate_speech_of_the_left/
Boston Globe said:
The liberal Nina Totenberg, on the other hand, suffered no ill effects for saying, during the flap over General Jerry Boykin's views of Islam and the war on terrorism, "I hope he's not long for this world." When the startled host asked if she were "putting a hit out on this guy," Totenberg backtracked and said she only wanted to see him expire "in his job."

kyleb

Acorn's recent YouTube flirtation with enabling child prostitution and illegal immigration is http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2009/09/acorn_versus_conservatives_bat.html" [Broken] here to concerns about being poor...
Rather, Acorn was represented as being willing to enable child production and illegal immigration by some conservatives who duped some Acorn workings into offering advice which whose conservatives represented as such, which is reflective of "poor schools, high crime and the sorts of social problems that have been documented for decades" as NPR stated.

I'm curious though, have you seen unedited video to substantiate the claims made by the narrator, or are you just taking him at his word?

mheslep
Gold Member

Rather, Acorn was represented as being willing to enable child production and illegal immigration by some conservatives who duped some Acorn workings into offering advice which whose conservatives represented as such, ...
At least one of the reporters in the video (the popularized web video) was not a conservative at least by claim, maybe neither them, nor do I care. I am not referring to any third party 'representations' of the video, but only the statements I see on the video itself by the employees and for which they were immediately fired.

kyleb

The video starts out with the narrator claiming the employ was being asked a question, and then playing back her answer. Lacking an unedited video of the incident, I can't rightly say if the voice on the narrator properly represented the question the employ was asked. Again, have you seen unedited video to substantiate the claims made by the narrator, or are you just taking him at his word? At this point I can't take what you presented any more seriously than one of the Daily Show's obviously spliced interviews.

kyleb

Fair enough, I reposted my question there.

NPR is typically fair, but it can depend upon the topic. My guess is the audience leans left of center.

I think Astronucs assessment that they present information "quietly" is very important. "Quiet" doesn't sell and will never enjoy high ratings or popularity.

I have listened to NPR on occasion and have certainly noticed a bit of liberal bias in tone and phrasing but on the whole I would say it is fairly well balanced.

Note that I am liberal and am likely to not notice liberal bias as much. I do however give a similar rating of balance to straight news from Fox. Maybe I just tend to filter most bias.

Rather, the least biased news sources are the ones who put the most effort into presenting relevant facts regardless of what viewpoints they might support.
Pftt. Pay attention. Picking and choosing what is relevant, and what presenting ones ideology in the best light is not unbiased.

kyleb

If you were paying attention you'd have noticed that I didn't make claims "unbiased".

byronm

Its funny how we measure fair / balanced news as leaning left or right of center.. has it come to a day an age where news is politics? You can't just report the car crash but now you have to add commentary that the car crash was the result of liberal or conservative laws/views/ideas so on so forth? I don't see NPR diving into the politics of things much however they are liberal in the sense that they cover the entire aspect of a topic but they're very much conservative in how they approach things - in the true non political sense of the words.

with that said, i love npr..

heck, it was only a few years ago people tried destroying PBS because they considered it the mouthpeace of the liberal movement.. (some conservative groups still are trying..)

mheslep
Gold Member

...I don't see NPR diving into the politics of things much
You can't be serious.

Can anyone suggest a radio channel or other news media that is the most unbiased? (as a whole channel; I'm not looking at specific programs/columnists within a channel.)

Or the only way to get neutral information is to keep listening to left-central and right-central channels, and make up your mind?

turbo
Gold Member

NPR is probably as good as good as radio news gets, though there are huge problems. They play the liberal vs conservative dichotomy a bit too glibly, IMO. Very rarely is any subject in the realm of politics so simple that it can be reduced to such a simple dichotomy, much less be explained inside and out by Brooks and Shields in a couple of back-and-forth minutes.

Wm F Buckley Jr. was one of my favorite columnists. When I disagreed with him, I at least had a clear picture of his motivations because he could explain his reasoning clearly. Not a lot of that happening in the press or broadcast media these days.

People like Buckley are often relegated to the trash-bin of "libertarianism" these days because the GOP has embraced jingoism, top-down ideology, and faith-based initiative instead of reason and conservatism. The Democratic party is hardly any better because (in part) they try emulating the GOP by "speaking in one voice" on important issues, and acting as if monolithic legislation can address complex issues. The two-party system is failing the US very badly, and when the media frames debates on important issues in terms that serves the major parties' arguments, we all lose.

mheslep
Gold Member

...People like Buckley are often relegated to the trash-bin of "libertarianism" these days ...
Buckley, though he shared many libertarian ideas, never described himself as a libertarian. For instance, he never went along with libertarians on drug legalization or abortion. I am unaware of anyone who describes him as a libertarian now.