Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News NPR radio is the most unbiased media

1. Sep 25, 2009 #1
    I think NPR radio is the most unbiased media. What do you think? You don't need to reply if you think Fox is unbiased :)

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2009 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Re: Npr

This is politics...moving.

4. Sep 25, 2009 #3

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor

The only unbiased news sources are the ones that agree with my viewpoint :rolleyes:

5. Sep 25, 2009 #4

Exactly!
    "Don't confuse me with the facts... my mind is made up."

6. Sep 25, 2009 #5

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I listen to NPR, particularly Morning Edition and All Things Considered, but also BBC News and Monitor Radio, which are broadcast on the regional public radio station. They present their material quietly as opposed to the yucksters, chatterboxes, and blah-blah-ristos on commercial radio.

The regional station has a lot of great interviews with authors, academics, politicians from both sides of the spectrum.

And I agree with Chi Meson's assessment, although I don't think PRI is that leftish. Alternative Radio certainly is though.

7. Sep 25, 2009 #6

Rather, the least biased news sources are the ones who put the most effort into presenting relevant facts regardless of what viewpoints they might support.

8. Sep 25, 2009 #7

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I deleted my post. I agree with Russ that this is politics, and I'm staying out of this arena. See you in GD.

9. Sep 25, 2009 #8

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Assessing media bias is politics?

or do people make it political by claiming political-bias in the media - particularly when there isn't?

Compared to other media, NPR's news program Morning Edition and All Things Considered does a pretty good job of presenting both sides. I was listening to E. J. Dionne and David Brooks discussing current events, e.g., the revelation of the 'secret' Iranian nuclear program and the G20 summit in Pittsburgh.

10. Sep 25, 2009 #9

I wish they'd do a better job of dispelling the illusion that issues only have two sides.
    If you mean "revelation" in a practical sense rather than an ethereal one, I hope you might share it in the thread we currently have dedicated to the subject.

11. Sep 25, 2009 #10

mheslep

Gold Member

I used to listen despite the bias, liked some of the on air talent, but finally the smugness in the bias went off the charts, the commercial sponsor announcements expanded without bound and I went down the road.

I've found that the number of people that believe NPR has no government funding whatsoever is not zero. Just in case: about http://www.npr.org/about/privatesupport.html" [Broken] comes from government sources.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  12. Sep 25, 2009 #11

mheslep

Gold Member

Some examples:

1. Acorn's recent YouTube flirtation with enabling child prostitution and illegal immigration is http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2009/09/acorn_versus_conservatives_bat.html" [Broken] here to concerns about being poor:

2. Story count bias. From NPR's own http://www.npr.org/ombudsman/2009/09/too_much_kennedy_1.html?ft=1&f=17370252" on 53 Sen Kennedy stories in five days. The late Senator was a major US politician, but 53?

3. Iraq on the spot 'pollster':
    http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=99639661
    NPR reporter Garcia-Navarro, Bagdad bureau chief on Iraq, 18:30 in clip
    Sure, http://www.globalpolicy.org/images/pdfs/0308opinion.pdf" [Broken]. They all want Saddam, Uday, and Qusay back from the grave.

4. NPR's Nina Totenburg on Gen Boykin's controversial comments on Islam:
    http://www.boston.com/news/globe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2003/12/28/hate_speech_of_the_left/

13. Sep 25, 2009 #12

Rather, Acorn was represented as being willing to enable child production and illegal immigration by some conservatives who duped some Acorn workings into offering advice which whose conservatives represented as such, which is reflective of "poor schools, high crime and the sorts of social problems that have been documented for decades" as NPR stated.

I'm curious though, have you seen unedited video to substantiate the claims made by the narrator, or are you just taking him at his word?

14. Sep 26, 2009 #13

mheslep

Gold Member

At least one of the reporters in the video (the popularized web video) was not a conservative at least by claim, maybe neither them, nor do I care. I am not referring to any third party 'representations' of the video, but only the statements I see on the video itself by the employees and for which they were immediately fired.

15. Sep 26, 2009 #14

The video starts out with the narrator claiming the employ was being asked a question, and then playing back her answer. Lacking an unedited video of the incident, I can't rightly say if the voice on the narrator properly represented the question the employ was asked. Again, have you seen unedited video to substantiate the claims made by the narrator, or are you just taking him at his word? At this point I can't take what you presented any more seriously than one of the Daily Show's obviously spliced interviews.

16. Sep 26, 2009 #15

mheslep

Gold Member

17. Sep 26, 2009 #16

Fair enough, I reposted my question there.

18. Sep 26, 2009 #17

NPR is typically fair, but it can depend upon the topic. My guess is the audience leans left of center.

I think Astronucs assessment that they present information "quietly" is very important. "Quiet" doesn't sell and will never enjoy high ratings or popularity.

19. Sep 26, 2009 #18

I have listened to NPR on occasion and have certainly noticed a bit of liberal bias in tone and phrasing but on the whole I would say it is fairly well balanced.

Note that I am liberal and am likely to not notice liberal bias as much. I do however give a similar rating of balance to straight news from Fox. Maybe I just tend to filter most bias.

20. Sep 27, 2009 #19

Pftt. Pay attention. Picking and choosing what is relevant, and what presenting ones ideology in the best light is not unbiased.

21. Sep 27, 2009 #20

If you were paying attention you'd have noticed that I didn't make claims "unbiased".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook