Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nuclear electricity separator - for those really picky customers

1. Apr 21, 2009 #1
    I just read that back in the 80's our brilliant engineers developed a nuclear electricity separator, which returns all electricity generated by nuclear power back to the grid, so that even anti-nuclear homeowners could use electricity. Would you buy one?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2009 #2
    infinite series resistances installed on the service of anti-nuclear homeowners is the way to go. yes, i would buy them one. let's make this a national subsidized project.

4. Apr 21, 2009 #3
    Indeed, but should we prioritize this higher than building bridges to nowhere?

5. Apr 21, 2009 #4
    i can install these wireless interfaces for a nominal fee. in fact, the program will pay for itself in the first year.

6. Apr 21, 2009 #5
    Hell no. :grumpy: Nuclear power is absolutely the best energy source to date, bar none. Everything else is either heavily CO2-emitting (coal, natural gas, oil) or has extravagant resource or land use requirements (hydropower, biomass, solar, wind, wave, tidal). But nuclear is at the intersection of - clean, compact, cheap. It is optimal.

7. Apr 21, 2009 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We can see how the idea really took off. :rolleyes:

The real question is: Did anyone actually buy one?

This thread strikes me as a thinly veiled attempt to discredit the anti-nuclear-power crowd by implication without even offering evidence for the implication - a Foxism.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
  8. Apr 21, 2009 #7

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I'm not sure if this thread was intended to be serious or not...

9. Apr 21, 2009 #8

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I really hate wind...it just sort of scares me. Could I get a device to filter out wind-generated energy?

10. Apr 21, 2009 #9
    this message is printed on 100% recycled electrons.

11. Apr 21, 2009 #10
    Or maybe Disney energy? I hear it comes from the exploitation of animated animals, the poor cute little things.

12. Apr 21, 2009 #11

Danger

Gold Member

It depends. Do a bunch of minor idiots outweigh one world-class idiot?

13. Apr 22, 2009 #12
    Actually you are both right simultaneously. This article appeared in a respected university Mayday magazine in the 80's. The release appears once on every odd year and has so far appeared in the form a magazine, egg, milk can, tuna can etc. It typically has a fairly high humor value.

14. Apr 22, 2009 #13
    I thought once that ground level wind energy was the most ludicrous idea, but then I heard of carbon capture.

15. Apr 22, 2009 #14
    My 10 year old produces "wind" with gale force...that can burn too.

16. Apr 22, 2009 #15

Borek

Sure. If you pay for me flying there and back again I am going to install you one for free :wink:

17. Apr 22, 2009 #16

Borek

Speaking of which... we ate cooked sauerkraut for dinner tonight.

18. Apr 22, 2009 #17
    If that's the stupidest idea you've heard about, you are one lucky bastard.

Environmentally Friendly Solar Shades Canopies

Eco-Disco: Self-Sufficient Dance Floor to Power First Green Nightclub

Grad student invents gravity lamp

http://www.ecogeek.org/content/view/1383/ [Broken]

Coffee Could Power Your Car, As Well As Wake You Up in the Morning

http://www.ecofriend.org/entry/eco-friendly-turbines-generate-power-from-a-flushing-toilet/ [Broken]

I think the mods will ban me for this...

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  19. Apr 22, 2009 #18

I have to wonder if any of these are eligible for stimulus funding?

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  20. Apr 23, 2009 #19
    But those ideas are not considered seriously

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook