Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Null subspace of a single vector

1. May 29, 2006 #1
    Hi:

was wondering if somebody can help me with this I came across in a paper.

$e_k$ is a vector of $k$ $1's. M is a matrix of size n \times k. The author talks about projecting $M$ onto the null space of $e_k$. This is what confuses me. Which $x$ apart from the 0-vector solves e_kx=0.

any help will be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. May 29, 2006 #2
    If k = 2, then x = [1 -1]^T solves e_2^T x = 0.

4. May 30, 2006 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I was a bit confused by your reference to "the null space of ek". A vector does not have a "null space", a matrix (or linear transformation) has a "null space". But then, reading doodle's response, it became clear that what you really mean was "orthogonal complement": the set of all vectors whose dot product with ek is 0. The orthogonal complement of a vector in n dimensional space is an n-1 dimensional space.

It might help to think of the situation in 3 dimensions, with an x,y,z, Cartesian coordinate system. The vector e1, the unit vector pointing along the x-axis, has orthogonal complement equal to the yz-plane, the set of all vectors of the form (0,y,z).

Last edited: May 25, 2009
  5. May 30, 2006 #4

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It sounds more like e_k is a 1xk matrix of 1's.

6. May 30, 2006 #5
    thanks all for your replies. yeah, it does make sense if i think of it as hallsofivy pointed out : the set of all vectors whose dot product with ek is 0.

this is how the author gets to the part in the paper

Z is a n-by-n projection matrix satisfying Z^2 = Z. e is the same as i mentioned.

define Z1 = Z - (1/n) e*transpose(e)

It is easy to see that Z1 represents the projection of the matrix Z onto the null subspace of e.

I couldnt figure out how it was so easy.

thanks.

7. May 25, 2009 #6
    I am still confused. As hallsofivy mentioned, the null subspace of e is a set of vectors. By stating that "Z1 represents the projection of the matrix Z onto the null subspace of e.", Z1 should be vectors. But Z1 is matrix. Can anyone explain this? Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?