Can't get my head into vector spaces and subspaces

In summary, the conversation discussed difficulties with understanding vector spaces and subspaces in linear algebra. The expert provided a general overview of subspaces and how to prove that a given subset is a subspace. The expert also pointed out a mistake in one of the exercises given and explained how to solve another example. The conversation ended with the student expressing gratitude for the help and stating their intention to continue practicing and potentially seeking help in the future.
thecaptain90
Hi, I'm new to linear algebra. I'm pretty good at doing exercises with matrices and stuff but even though I've been looking in different books, looking all over the internet I can't get into vector spaces and subspaces. It seems like the books have some very elementary and simple examples and then in the exercises they ask you something difficult which I can't even start.

For example: Show that V = {(x,y,z) E R^3/ xy = 0} are subspaces of R^3. I can't even think of how to start this.

Do you have any ideas? Or can you help me to get the general idea of spaces and subspaces?

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi thecaptain90! welcome to pf! :smile:

(try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)

were you ok with groups and subgroups?

particularly with proving whether a subset of a group is a subgroup?

you had to prove that it was closed under the operation of multiplication

proving whether a subset of a vector space is a vector subspace proceeds the same way, except that there are more operations to check! :wink:

iA subset, U, of a vector space, V, is a "subspace" if it satisifies all of the axioms for a subspace, using the same addition and scalar multiplication. Because most of the axioms don't depend upon individual vectors, because they are true in V, they are also true in U. But you do have to prove that the operations are "closed" in U (if u and v are in U then so are u+ v and [itex]\alpha u[/itex] where [itex]\alpha[/itex] is a scalar) and that U is non-empty.

To show that V = {(x,y,z) E R^3/ xy = 0} is a subspace, look at (a, b, c) such that ab= 0 and (p, q, r) such that pq= r. What can you say about (a+ p, b+ q, c+ r)? does it satisfy (a+ p)(b+ q)= 0?

Is this really a problem from your text or one you made up? I don't like the way it is worded.

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem you gave is hard because it is false.

[tex]V = \{(x,y,z) \in \mathbb{R}^3 | xy = 0 \}[/tex]

is not a subspace of [itex]\mathbb{R}^3[/itex], in particular if (x,y,z) and (x',y',z') are in V you cannot be certain that (x+x',y+y',z+z') is in V. If you can, you should try to see why this is (that is come up with two elements of V such that their sum is not in V).

Sorry for not answering for quite some time. The exercise I posted is from a book maybe it has a mistake as rasmhop said. There is another one which I don't know how to solve:
U={(x,y,z) [itex]\in[/itex] R3 | xyz = 1} I have to show that U is a subspace of R3.
What should I do? According to my book it says first I have to show that u + v [itex]\in[/itex] V so what is u and v in this exercises? Should I begin by saying that x + y + z [itex]\in[/itex] V? I really can't figure it out. Why does the exercise tell me that xyz = 1? Will I use it somewhere?

thecaptain90 said:
Sorry for not answering for quite some time. The exercise I posted is from a book maybe it has a mistake as rasmhop said. There is another one which I don't know how to solve:
U={(x,y,z) [itex]\in[/itex] R3 | xyz = 1} I have to show that U is a subspace of R3.
What should I do? According to my book it says first I have to show that u + v [itex]\in[/itex] V so what is u and v in this exercises? Should I begin by saying that x + y + z [itex]\in[/itex] V? I really can't figure it out. Why does the exercise tell me that xyz = 1? Will I use it somewhere?

What book are you using? This second set is not a subspace either. Are you sure the question doesn't say "state whether or not U is a subspace, if so show it"?

Here is an example: If [itex]W = \{(x,y,z) \in R^3; x=2y=3z\}[/itex]

To show W is a subspace you need to show 1) 0 vector belongs to W, 2) closure under addition. 3) closure under scalar multiplication (i.e. multiplying a vector in W by a real number gives a vector in W).

1) (0,0,0) is the 0 vector in R^3, and belongs to W since 0=2(0)=3(0)
2) If (a,b,c) and (x,y,z) belong to W then a=2b=3c and x=2y=3z, so adding these together, (a+x)=2(b+c)=3(c+z), so (a+x,b+y,c+z) belongs to W. That is just (a,b,c)+(x,y,z).
3) if (a,b,c) belongs to W then a=2b=3z. Take any real number r and multiply through by it, a(r)=2(rb)=3(rc), so we know (ra,rb,rc) belongs to W. But that is just r(a,b,c)

Hence W is a subspace. Note, W is just a line in R^3 though the origin.

Last edited:
Yep this is my fault it says that I should show if U is a subspace of R3. I'm a student in a greek school so you probably won't know the book I'm using it is only available in greek. Thanks for the help. I'll try to solve some exercises and post some questions if I get stuck.

1. What is a vector space?

A vector space is a mathematical concept that represents a collection of objects called vectors. These vectors can be added, subtracted, and multiplied by scalars (numbers) to create new vectors. Vector spaces are used to model physical quantities such as force, velocity, and acceleration in physics, as well as abstract concepts in mathematics.

2. What are the properties of a vector space?

There are several properties that define a vector space, including closure under addition and scalar multiplication, associativity and commutativity of addition, existence of a zero vector, existence of additive inverses, and distributivity of scalar multiplication over vector addition. These properties ensure that vector spaces follow consistent and predictable rules.

3. What is a subspace?

A subspace is a subset of a vector space that also satisfies the properties of a vector space. In other words, a subspace is a smaller vector space that is contained within a larger vector space. Subspaces are important because they allow us to simplify and analyze complex vector spaces by breaking them down into smaller, more manageable parts.

4. How do I determine if a set of vectors forms a subspace?

In order for a set of vectors to form a subspace, it must satisfy three conditions: 1) the set must contain the zero vector, 2) the set must be closed under vector addition, and 3) the set must be closed under scalar multiplication. This means that any linear combination of vectors in the set must also be in the set. If all three conditions are met, then the set is a subspace.

5. Why is understanding vector spaces and subspaces important?

Vector spaces and subspaces are fundamental concepts in mathematics and have numerous applications in various fields, including physics, engineering, data science, and computer graphics. They allow us to represent and manipulate complex data and systems in a structured and consistent way, making problem-solving and analysis more efficient and effective.